Oil & Fuel Dipsticks!

/ Dipsticks! #11  
Not just your make :( try finding level fluid level in dim light..arrrrr.

yeah that sight glass on you L2800 aint no picnic to read either.

/ Dipsticks! #14  
My new push mower has a yellow dipstick. I guess I should be thankful, they didn't make it honey colored. I'm going to try laying the dipstick against a brown paper towel. Then comparing the discoloration on the paper towel to the level marks on the dipstick.

I just clicked on ' Problem seeing oil level on some dipsticks' thread listed under 'Similar Threads' below, and see that someone else had my idea before I did. There are some other good sounding ideas in that thread too.

Last edited:
   / Dipsticks! #15  
Drill a hole in it, or heat the tip up with a torch enough to discolor it (Please note that this will not work well on a plastic dipstick)...

Aaron Z

/ Dipsticks! #16  
Drill a hole in it, or heat the tip up with a torch enough to discolor it (Please note that this will not work well on a plastic dipstick)...

Aaron Z

gotta love that disclaimer!:laughing:

/ Dipsticks! #17  
The hole trick is also suggested in the other thread. I think, I'll try it. Thanks, Aczlan.

/ Dipsticks! #18  
gotta love that disclaimer!:laughing:
Thanks. Thinking more, I suppose that it could theoretically work if you got the plastic JUST hot enough to discolor, but I wouldn't recommend it as it would be almost impossible to stop just before it melted or lit on fire.

Aaron Z

/ Dipsticks!
I like the scoring and the small holes ideas! Thanks! The bluing might work, but these seem simpler, and I am a firm believer in the KISS method. The endcap on my dipstick is a soft rubber or plastic, so I think I'll pass on heating it up, but with an all metal dipstick, it would probably work too. Thanks all!

/ Dipsticks! #20  

Another trick is to drill small holes in your stick (if it's flat style), the holes make it much easier to see.

This method works. Drill a very small diameter hole and the oil will cling to that hole when you check it. The gun blue idea also sounds good but I have never done it.