Oil & Fuel Dipsticks!

/ Dipsticks! #1  

LJMasonWy

Tractor
Bobcat CT 445
I just want to know what brilliant individual decided to put a dark metal dipstick in for the engine oil and a bright silver dipstick in for the HST... I have a heck of a time seeing the clear oil level on the HST, a dark dipstick would probably have worked better. Any other hydro fluid I can add that has a tint of some type to it to make it easier to check? I only have about 12 hours on it so far.

/ Dipsticks! #2  
I just want to know what brilliant individual decided to put a dark metal dipstick in for the engine oil and a bright silver dipstick in for the HST... I have a heck of a time seeing the clear oil level on the HST, a dark dipstick would probably have worked better. Any other hydro fluid I can add that has a tint of some type to it to make it easier to check? I only have about 12 hours on it so far.

This is just an idea, I don't know if it would work or not, but How about using cold gun blue to change that bright metal (hopefully steel) dipstick into a blued dark dipstick?.. You would need some good solvent to get every bit of oil off of it, and blue it, wash and dry it, and see how it looked.. first test the bright metal with a magnet to make sure it is good carbon steel, and not some kind of stainless.

James K0UA

/ Dipsticks! #3  
Short answer... a dipstick!

/ Dipsticks! #6  
Any other hydro fluid I can add that has a tint of some type to it to make it easier to check?

There are oil dyes you can add if need be.

Another trick is to drill small holes in your stick (if it's flat style), the holes make it much easier to see.

/ Dipsticks! #8  
I get it! The engineer was the dipstick...

There is a easy answer to being able to read any dipstick. Take some very rough emery cloth or a file and scratch the dipstick around the circumference. The texture makes the oil/no oil read more easily. Remember older dipsticks had a hatch grid machined into them? The grooves or scratches will make it easier to read.

/ Dipsticks! #10  
Not just your make :( try finding level fluid level in dim light..arrrrr.