Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Bronze Member
    Tractor
    Bobcat CT235

Default another winter, more MLS valve problems...

First off I really don't care if you've had your tractor for 9000 years and ran a billion hours with no mls valve problems.

That said, I just turned 180 hours and my mls valve is done again. This will be the fifth time I have had it out, torn it apart, found nothing really wrong, put it back together, and so far every time it works for awhile after that. It won't go up. If I put the receiver hitch attachment on it it will go up once the oil is warmed up but has a 5 second delay before lifting. With the snowblower on or posthole auger it won't go up at all unless I roll the loader bucket all the way one way or the other to deadhead the hydraulics for a few seconds then let go. Then it will go up about a third of the way, then I have to do it again. So now it's back in the shop to do the same old same old again, and I guarantee it won't last long before it quits working again.

The three point on this thing is pretty much worthless scrap iron.
    2009 Bobcat CT235 with front end loader
    Bobcat snowblower
    King Kutter 60" tiller
    More attachments to come in the future....1st up.....60" box blade

Super Star Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L3830GST, B7500HST, BX2660

Default Re: another winter, more MLS valve problems...

Sounds like possibly a pressure relief in the valve stuck open...

Aaron Z
    A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.
    Robert Heinlein, Time Enough for Love

Bronze Member
    Tractor
    Bobcat CT235

The part that really chaps my $^*@&($(&$^ is that when I take the MLS apart all I find that is the slightest bit odd is the spools have the tiniest bit of drag to them when I slide them in the bore. All I do is slide them in and out by had for a little while until they drop right in and it's fine...... for a little while. Pretty soon I'm going to chuck those spools up in the lathe and turn them down a tad. What's the worst that will happen? It won't work? That'd just be a **** shame wouldn't it?
    Bobcat snowblower
    King Kutter 60" tiller

Tractor
    Bobcat CT225, McCormick X10.50H

reading your signature, Why not a 72 inch box blade?

Bronze Member
    Tractor
    Bobcat CT235

If I decide to keep this tractor it probably would be a 72". But I might just as well drag an I-beam behind from a chain because the 3 point won't lift a box blade anyway.
    Bobcat snowblower
    King Kutter 60" tiller

Tractor
    2012 Bobcat CT225

Forgive my ignorance but if taking the MLS valve (whatever that is) apart and putting it back together again restores functionality but only for a short time doesn't that suggest that the problem is actually somewhere else in the hydraulic system? You take out the MLS which I'm guessing would have some effect on the rest of the hydraulics based on your comment that rolling the bucket affects how the 3-pt operates. So possibly a sticking valve somewhere else that comes free when you take the MLS out of the system? As I said, forgive my ignorance if I'm way off base here.
    Phil

Bobcat CT225 with FEL and Bobtach.
    Landpride box blade, post hole digger and pallet forks.

Tractor
    Kubota BX2360 & L4240 HSTC

What hydraulic oil are you using?

Gold Member
    Tractor
    CT 235

Quote Originally Posted by Rudevette View Post
    If I decide to keep this tractor it probably would be a 72". But I might just as well drag an I-beam behind from a chain because the 3 point won't lift a box blade anyway.
    Possibly you just hit the problem. If your 3 pt wont lift a box blade, then your Hyd pressure is low. Mine will fully lift a 1000 Lb tiller easily. Have you checked your system pressures, and do you have clean oil in the system.. Also check the hose quick connects. When my FEL started having issues, it came back to several bad quick connects - partially plugged with junk, or totally failed. They check good off the unit, but failed under pressure.

Service guy had a pressure gauge hooked up to a short quick connect to check system pressures at various points. he did need to adjust the pressure relief valve a bit. It was bleeding pressure too soon.

Hope this helps.
    2011 CT 235 with FEL, Filled rear tires, 6 foot Land Pride Box Blade, Ansung Terra Force YJR074 tiller, Ansung Terra Force 42 inch pallet forks, Ford 503 3pt side delivery rake, IH 1300 9 ft sickle mower, Hesston 4550 baler, along with rear flood light on the tractor.

Elite Member
    Tractor
    Branson 2400H

Rudevette,
    I presume this is on your Bobcat Ct235. If yes I also presume the front loader works fine since you state that you can roll the the bucket back and build pressure.

Since I am not familiar with Bobcat hydraulic system I am going to make a couple of assumptions.

1) This is an open center hydraulic system. I.e Gear pump
    2) Pump flow goes to the FEL control and then feeds oil to the 3PH control.
    3) The 3PH only has a surge / spike relief and no system relief.

It sounds like you are not getting flow to the 3PH hitch control and that the Power Beyond feature of your FEL control is not working or installed correctly.

I would look at the FEL control to determine where the power beyond port is. Now try and determine where the plug is in the FEL body that is used to convert this valve from non power beyond to power beyond capable. Make sure this plug is installed and that any O-rings are not damaged. This plug isolates the pressure chamber in the FEL valve from the Tank port in the FEL valve. Some use a special fitting, some use a pipe plug installed inside the housing, etc..

good luck
    Artificial Intelligence will never overcome natural stupidity.

Branson 2400H MMM & FEL

JD 112

BX1850 gone but not forgotten

Bronze Member
    Tractor
    Bobcat CT235

I use bobcat hydraulic oil and bobcat filters. And have changed it twice.

I can almost guarantee that it's a spool sticking in the Mls because after I take it apart and polish the spools up a little bit with a rag and hydraulic oil it works for a little while. The Mls has a pressure relief built into it.
    Bobcat snowblower
    King Kutter 60" tiller

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast