Check your loader mounting bolts!

/ Check your loader mounting bolts! #1  

galaxie428

Gold Member
Tractor
Bobcat CT230
I know I saw a thread on here a while back on tightening your loader mounting bolts. I tried to search for it but I didn't find the thread.

Anyway, I ignored the original thread because I was too busy to mess with it. I noticed after tilling a garden the other night that my loader seemed to be moving alot while I was putting it away. I checked the bolts and sure enough, they were loose. Almost every one of them were loose and one was actually broke off.

CHECK YOUR BOLTS!

/ Check your loader mounting bolts! #2  
And don't forget about the one you can't see. There is a bolt inside the tube of the mast.

/ Check your loader mounting bolts!
Thanks SS, I didn't see that one. I will have to look for it when I head out this morning.

/ Check your loader mounting bolts! #4  
Yes ... and it is upredictably beneficial to remove each bolt that fastens to the casting and check for good thread engagement before tightening. You dont know if it was put together with correct bolt lengths in respective holes. You want a full bolt diameter of engagement or more.
larry

/ Check your loader mounting bolts!
Make that two was broken off, both on the same side. The one hidden inside the mast was broken off also. So, yesterday I took my loader off and dropped the mount to get both the broken bolts out. It was actually very easy. I expeced to spend a lot more time on it than I did but probably about an hour was all it took. I bet it doesn't all go back together that easy but I guess we will find out this evening.

On a side note, the tractor looked kind of cool with the loader off, just not as useful. It would be nice to have that out of the way when mowing though.

/ Check your loader mounting bolts! #6  
Almost every one of them were loose...

CHECK YOUR BOLTS!

Yes ... and it is upredictably beneficial to remove each bolt that fastens to the casting and check for good thread engagement before tightening. You dont know if it was put together with correct bolt lengths in respective holes. You want a full bolt diameter of engagement or more.
larry

OMG !!! :eek: Great advice there guys.:thumbsup:

My new purchase, a used 2009 CT225 with FEL and 7TB BH and 430 hours on it must have never been retightened or checked. All front bolts were loose but fortunately the rear ones were a bit tightened but not enough though.

And just to keep a reminder in that topic here are the torque specs: The rear bolts (i.e. near loader valve area) are 120-146 ft lbs. The fronts are 75-91.

/ Check your loader mounting bolts! #7  
I'll take my loader off occasionally when I'm just towing logs out of the woods and need the weight on the rear tires or better turning between trees.
Sometimes I'll just take the bucket off, but leave the loader on so I can use it to chain and lift stuff.