clicking noise when disengaging pto with clutch pedal on ct122

/ clicking noise when disengaging pto with clutch pedal on ct122 #1  

hench861

Silver Member
Tractor
bobcat ct122
i was putting my finish mower on tonight after taking off my snoblower and when i tried the pto i pushed in the clutch to disengage the pto and i have a loud clicking noise, only when i hold the pedal down. it does not do it with the pto disengaged.i just got it back from dealer for antifreeze leak and he installed rear hyd ports
oh yeah its a ct122. any thoughts

/ clicking noise when disengaging pto with clutch pedal on ct122
i was putting my finish mower on tonight after taking off my snoblower and when i tried the pto i pushed in the clutch to disengage the pto and i have a loud clicking noise, only when i hold the pedal down. it does not do it with the pto disengaged.i just got it back from dealer for antifreeze leak and he installed rear hyd ports
got home today and disconnected pto shaft on finish mower,no noise with pto engaged!!! put shaft back on noise is there definately in the tractor,not the mower seems like right at the starter area

/ clicking noise when disengaging pto with clutch pedal on ct122 #3  
I believe you are hearing the overrun clutch. When the implement is spinning and the clutch is depressed, the overrun clutch doesn't allow the implement to transfer power to the tractor through the pto. Think of it as a big ratchet mechanism, only allows power to be transferred in one direction.

this is the first time i have heard this,i have had the tractor almost 3 years,the mower 2 years,the noise sounds like it is coming out of the clutch area

/ clicking noise when disengaging pto with clutch pedal on ct122 #5  
try running the PTO then shut it off just using the lever without pushing in the clutch. If you hear the same noise it is the over-run clutch and is normal.

/ clicking noise when disengaging pto with clutch pedal on ct122 #6  
try running the PTO then shut it off just using the lever without pushing in the clutch. If you hear the same noise it is the over-run clutch and is normal.[/QUOTE

This noise is definitely normal and is the over ride clutch. Used to do it all the time on my ck20s when changing direction or disengaging clutch at full throttle with pto running.

no it does not make the noise when you just disengage with the lever only when i press the pedal and the pto is going

/ clicking noise when disengaging pto with clutch pedal on ct122 #8  
no it does not make the noise when you just disengage with the lever only when i press the pedal and the pto is going

@hench861 - Did you ever find out the cause of the clicking noise? I bought a used John Deere 750 a couple of weeks ago and after the usual maintenance (changed oil, changed hydraulic fluid, greased fittings, etc.), I used the tractor with a 4 ft. bush hog over the weekend. The symptoms were identical to what you've described, a discernable clicking hoise when I disengage the clutch with the bush hog operating at speed. If I disengage the PTO, the clicking noise stops. Before putting the bush hog on, I had tried this same sequence and no clicking, of course nothing with any momentum was pushing the overrunning clutch to do much. I've seen the comments about this being normal, but I'm not sure I'm convinced. As you mentioned, your tractor did not make this noise until recently, so I can only conclude that it wasn't normal on your tractor.

Appreciate any feedback. The clicking noise is not worrisome, but if it's grinding away on the drive gear, then that's trouble down the road.

EVERYONE SAYS IT IS THE OVERRUNNING CLUTCH IT DOES NOT DO IT WHEN YOU JUST PULL OUT THE PTO WITHOUT USING THE CLUTCH SO I GUESS IM NOT GOING TO SWEAT IT ,JUST NEVER NOTICED IT BEFORE