Stripped oil pan threads.

/ Stripped oil pan threads. #1  

CKJ Farm

Tractor
Bobcat
Ok, went to change the fluids on my CT 335 today and found the threads were stripped on one of the oil pan plug holes. When I took the plug out it looked like a spring was coming out of the hole...definitely wasn't a spring. Apparently it was the threads from the oil pan. Anybody out there in bobcat land ever run into this before? If so, what did you do? I was able to put the plug back in, but it will not tighten up.

/ Stripped oil pan threads. #2  
Go visit your friendly local parts house with the old one. They have some plugs that are self taping for this situation.

/ Stripped oil pan threads. #3  
You sure the stripped off metal was from the pan? Properly designed, in my opinion, would be for the metal in the plug to be softer than the metal in the pan threads.

/ Stripped oil pan threads. #4  
How accessible is the oil pan? Can you get the whole thing off without too much hassle?

You could probably either tap the hole oversized, or braze a nut over the plug hole. I don't think I'd use helicoils. And, obviously you don't want a bunch of metal shards bouncing around the oil pan, although they might never get past the pump/filter.

/ Stripped oil pan threads. #5  
Go visit your friendly local parts house with the old one. They have some plugs that are self taping for this situation.

Yep, been there done that (on pickup)... just go to the parts house and see if there is one the right size. They are identified just for that.

/ Stripped oil pan threads. #6  
It is a known problem that was brought to my attention by my selling dealer to never overtighten the pan drain bolts, otherwise the result could render what you have now.
The pan material should be stronger at the drain hole location, or reinforced with a brazed in insert for the drain bolt. Unfortunately you will have to effect a repair with a pan plug of some kind, as suggested already, or remove the entire pan and fix or replace, then make sure the drain bolts are never again overtightened.

/ Stripped oil pan threads. #7  
I found the oil pan nut on my Ford Escape stripped after having my oil changed (I do it myself now!)

I didn't want to put the time and money into fixing it correctly because it had 200k miles on it at the time, and I figured it wasn't going to last. I went to the auto parts store and purchased an oversized, self tapping oil plug for 4 dollars and some change. I screwed it in like normal and haven't had any problems with it.

Now, over 40,000 miles later, it's still been working fine after every oil change, and never had a leak. If I knew it was going to last this long I probably would have changed the whole oil pan, however, knowing now what I didn't know then, I'll just leave it the way it is, and would not bother going through the trouble of replacing the oil pan.

/ Stripped oil pan threads.
Thanks for all the replies. I will first double check the threads on the plug itself. If, in fact, the threads are good on the plug I will go to the local parts store and look for a self tapping plug. In order to drop the oil pan, the front drive shaft would have to be removed. That may be a little more than I want to deal with. I will let you know the outcome. Thanks.