Silver Member
    Tractor
    BobCat CT230

Question Just returned after 2years want to start my CT230

As the title says Ive been away (Family) and not using the tractor just had battery charging on a tender all the while that shows a good charge.

Well Im back and now want to start it. Need to do some cutting in the fields
    A little backround I never owned one before and looking for advice.

1.Whats an easiest way to drain fuel

2. Replace fuel filter Procedure to to do? and get air out afterwards ?

3. Figure ill change oil after starting running to get warmed up

Thanks oh btw the tractor still has less than 30hrs on it

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Bobcat CT230

Default Re: Just returned after 2years want to start my CT230

Tractor isn't even through the break in period yet.
    Check your oil and hydraulic fluids to make sure they're full and no water in them.
    Make sure the rodents haven't chewed your wiring, or left a nest in the air intake.
    Clean out all the mud dauber nests.
    Make sure you grease all the zerks.
    IF the tractor starts right up, don't worry about draining the fuel, just run it. But do check the fuel filter before hand, and after the first tank of diesel is nearly empty.
    Do NOT forget to do the fluid changes at the proper intervals or you'll void your warrantee.

Silver Member
    Tractor
    BobCat CT230

I was unsure of using the old fuel that actually is now 3yrs. I do have PS Diesel fuel Supplement w/cetane boost put it in when fuel was purchased.
    You dont think running the old diesel will #$%@ up injector pump?
    rather waste whats left in it than rebuilding replacing that

I checked the fuel bowl its dry not water dry BoneDry

I know the tractor isnt broken in just dont want to break it

Theres NO warranty left that I know of I brought this back in 2009 just a few years ago

Tractor
    Bobcat CT225

At price of few gallons of fuel versus pump repair, I would drain the old. If you follow the fuel hose with steel wrapped coil from the back (rear) of the fuel filter it goes down to the lift pump. The other hose connected to the lift pump is supply line from the tank. Tank the supply line hose off at the lift pump will drain the fuel tank. Put the hose back on and add new fuel.
    To drain or change the filter: turn the lever on the filter so pointer points to OFF the remove filter and clean the bowl. After filter and bowl are reinstalled, turn the lever to "AIR" position then using the starter crank the engine (about 30 seconds), repeat cranking of filter is NOT over 2/3 full. Once it is over 2/3 full, turn the lever to ON/Run position at start it up.
    Dennis

CT225 w/7TL QA FEL, 60"tooth dirt bucket, 68" smooth bucket, Pallet Forks, Bale Spear. Hydrualic top llin, QH, 48 RC, 60" tiller, Angle blade, Landscape rake, Carry-all, Post hole auger.

Tractor
    Bobcat CT225, McCormick X10.50H

Turn the key wait for the glow plug light to go out start engine and go to work. That's what the fuel filter is for. If the fuel would plug the filter (which it won't ) then worry about changing the fuel. Quit worrying and get to work. The guys on this forum will tell you to pay 3 times the price for Bobcat hydraulic fluid because they are ignorant and scared. They will also tell you not to tow more than the tow rating of your pickup. Diesel doesn't go bad like gasoline and you had the product in. Don't worry be happy and get to work

Tractor
    2009 Kubota RTV 900, 2009 Kubota B26 TLB & 2010 model LS P7010

Quote Originally Posted by Sabretooth View Post
    I was unsure of using the old fuel that actually is now 3yrs. I do have PS Diesel fuel Supplement w/cetane boost put it in when fuel was purchased.
    You dont think running the old diesel will #$%@ up injector pump?

I checked the fuel bowl its dry not water dry BoneDry

This would be of concern to me if the fuel bowl is dry. Diesel fuel doesn't go bad unless it is contaminated with water and then you might get some algae growth. Visual the tank for that, but it isn't going to hurt the engine, it will just stop up your fuel filters. Perhaps some rodent has chewed the fuel line and the tank is empty. Diesel fuel doesn't evaporate like gasoline so everything should still be full up. I wouldn't worry about bad fuel other than to look into the tank with a good light to make sure some a**hole hasn't tampered with the fuel. As stated, check out all the areas around the engine for nesting critters. Check your battery for correct level of water/acid, I just had to replace a boat battery that had a maintainer on it and boiled out all the water. Check the fluids and if all is ok, crank it up and bring to operating temp. Shut it off, drain the crankcase oil and change oil and filter in the engine. Check the hydraulic oil for water (it will be a milky color if it had water in it. If it is clear, it is good to go.
    2010 LS P-7010C 20F/20R gear tractor & FEL, 2009 Kubota B 26 TLB, RTV 900 Kubota,17 foot Lund boat with 70HP motor, 2012-20 ft 12k GVW trailer, 2011- 52" Craftsman ZTR mower, 2013 Ferris Zero Turn, 3 weed whackers, pressure washer, leaf blowers, 7 foot bush hog, 8 foot landscape rake , 8 foot 3 PH disc, 2 row cultivator, 350 amp Miller AC/DC welding machine and all the tools needed to keep them all repaired and running.

Tractor
    Kioti DK35se Hydrostat

Yeah, I don't understand the fuel bowl being dry at all. It should be full of fuel.. That bears investigation.
    James KUA

Kioti DK35se hydrostat with 2 QA buckets, 48 inch. King Kutter Rotary Cutter. 750 lbs ballast box. Loaded tires, Construction Attachments SSQA Lightweight Pallet forks. EA 50 inch single lid "wicked" Grapple. Satisfied Everlast PA160 welder owner How to add a link to a post . Best way to search TBN

Tractor
    Bobcat CT225, McCormick X10.50H

Sabretooth, Give us a followup report. What did you do, and how did it work?
    Krazsk