Comparing a CT335 to a CT450

/ Comparing a CT335 to a CT450 #1  

afoster

Bronze Member
Tractor
Bobcat CT335 with cab
I have a CT335 that I'm actually quite happy with. However this winter we've had an extraordinary amount of snow and I'm finding the CT335 is having a hard time pushing it and lifting it to the full height of the snow piles. I've come across a CT450 for sale and I'm wondering if the extra hp as well as weight would make that much difference between what the CT335 can do. I'm curious if anyone has had a chance to actually compare the CT335 against the CT450 and what their thoughts are.

/ Comparing a CT335 to a CT450
Does anyone use a CT450 with a front loader 8' snow blade. Do you find the tractor and loader adequate for pushing and piling snow.

/ Comparing a CT335 to a CT450 #3  
I have a DK35 which is very close to the CT335. I imagine the extra hp and small amount of weight will make much difference for pushing snow or lifting a bucket full of snow. If it is like the Kioti's the 45hp's bucket will be 6" wider and perhaps deeper than the CT335's.

Do you have chains? They would be the best bet for improving the pushing capacity.

/ Comparing a CT335 to a CT450
A friend with a CT450 with a 8" blade has no problem with pushing and piling snow. However my Ct 335 with a 7' blade is having real problems: it powers out in low range.

/ Comparing a CT335 to a CT450 #5  
I use 7' Bobcat loader mounted blade on my CT335 HST. I've experienced the engine bogging way down in Medium with the the throttle almost wide open, but I have not experienced it in low. We just had a 16" snowfall last week with drifting up around 3' in a couple areas in the drive and I was pretty impressed with how it handled that volume of snow. I stacked a 40' long pile up to about 6' high along the south of my driveway to the barn without any trouble. One thing it has taken me a while to get used to is opening the throttle more and letting the governor control engine speed when the load drops off.

In answer to your original question I do believe the CT450 will be able to push harder because of the bigger engine driving the hydrostatic pump. In another thread that I recently started there is a post from a member that has good things to say about how his DK50SE handles an 8' snow pusher. He is thinking about increasing its size to carry more snow.

/ Comparing a CT335 to a CT450 #7  
I imagine a CT450/DK45 will push somewhat better than the CT335/DK35. However, with DUO rear chains and 2-link ladder front chains and loaded tires my DK35 in low will spin on ice, hard packed snow or gravel rather than stall. I guess another factor for the 45 hp tractors is more ground contact area with the larger tires. I did not think of that in my first reply.

The CT450 (45 gross hp/36 PTO hp) has significantly more power for actual work than the CT335 (38 gross HP/27 PTO hp).

/ Comparing a CT335 to a CT450 #8  
I imagine a CT450/DK45 will push somewhat better than the CT335/DK35. However, with DUO rear chains and 2-link ladder front chains and loaded tires my DK35 in low will spin on ice, hard packed snow or gravel rather than stall. I guess another factor for the 45 hp tractors is more ground contact area with the larger tires. I did not think of that in my first reply.

The CT450 (45 gross hp/36 PTO hp) has significantly more power for actual work than the CT335 (38 gross HP/27 PTO hp).

Just to clarify the model information. The CT450 is not the DK45 equivalent it is brother to the DK50. The "4" in Bobcat model number refers to frame size and last 2 numbers are the HP so going from CT335 to CT450/DK50 @ 49 HP would be increase of 11 HP.

/ Comparing a CT335 to a CT450 #9  
And the 49 hp vs. 38 hp is a product of the increased engine torque produced at the same rated rpm. That big of an increase has to be noticeable.

I seem to remember they use the same Kanzaki?? hydrostatic unit, but there is a slight difference in gear reduction at the rear axle between the 335 and the 400 series.

/ Comparing a CT335 to a CT450 #10  
I think that gear reduction is just from the smaller rear tires used. With Ag tires there is .88 mph difference (450 faster) and 335 would have 12.4X24 and 450 would have 13.3X24 tires.