CT235 will not start.

/ CT235 will not start. #1  

Skinnyman

Silver Member
Tractor
Bobcat CT235
Ran good for several hrs. the other day, then would shut off when moving throtle back to idle. Would restart after several minutes and run fine until moving throtle back to idle. After about four occurances of this I decided to put back on the trailer and head for home. Tried to restart once on the trailer and would not start (engine turns over). I think its the fuel supply pump. I changed the fuel filter once home, and noticed I could not fill the fuel bowl but about 1/2 inch. I have fuel to the pump but only a trickle to the fuel bowl which feeds the injector pump. Have any of you guys had to replace the fuel pump ($45)? Looks to be a vacum pump which runs off the cam shaft. First time in 430 hrs. this tractor has failed to start.

Last edited:
   / CT235 will not start. #2  
A weak fuel supply pump usually has the opposite affect of what you are seeing. Weak pump could supply enough fuel to start and run at lower RPM but engine would struggle at higher RPM or heavier loads.
When you changed the fuel filter and couldn't get filter to fill, did you turn the shut-off valve over to the "air" position the crank engine for a few seconds to bleed air from the filter, then switch valve back to "run" position?

/ CT235 will not start.
Yes, then I tried by pre-filling the bowl and starting in the air (bleed position). I also made sure the line from the pump to the fuel bowl was clear by blowing air through it. Any suggestions at what I could check that would keep the fuel bowl from filling?
I will have the fuel supply pump Monday. The injection pump is an $1100 dollar item. Thanks for the reply SSdoxie.

/ CT235 will not start. #4  
Something to check. When you changed the fuel filter did the metal end cap happen to separate from the filter and remain in the top of the housing? Had this issue. Also is your fuel good. I had a contaminated batch do the same thing. OK with power, but would not idle. I used a power siphon to clean the main tank and refilled with good fuel. It took a while for the system to purge too. Last resort is check fuel delivery at each injector before getting the injector pump.

Hope this helps

/ CT235 will not start.
Filter and end cap stayed intach. Fuel is pretty fresh, and I have good flow to the fuel pump. My replacement pump arrived today, will change, bleed fuel lines and try again. Stayed tuned.

/ CT235 will not start.
Replaced pump still will not start. Fuel shut off solenoind is working. I have fuel to the injection pump (crecked open banjo bolt at top of pump) but no fuel to injector lines. Will take to the shop first thing Monday.

/ CT235 will not start.
Got tractor back today. It was the fuel shut off rack seized in the off position. Covered under emissions warranty. I didn"t think I had any warranty left. My dealer, Bobcat of Wilmington brought it to my attention. What few problems I have had, warranty and non-warranty issues they have been so great to work with.

/ CT235 will not start. #8  
how much would it have been had it not been covered by the warranty?

/ CT235 will not start.
Pump would have been just over $800, and about 2-3 hrs. labor at about $90/hr. I could have changed the pump myself, I am lucky and have a friend who is a diesel mechanic.