CT 235 PTO HP testing

/ CT 235 PTO HP testing #1  

powerscol

Veteran Member
Tractor
CT 235
Does anyone know of any actual testing of the PTO HP for our tractors. Looking to check the specified 26.5 HP against actual testing.

Second question, is there a way to up the PTO hp by adjusting pressure, etc.

Thanks

/ CT 235 PTO HP testing #2  
Sorry not aware of any independent testing sites for that spec.

No there are no adjustments that increase hp at the PTO.

/ CT 235 PTO HP testing #3  
Does anyone know of any actual testing of the PTO HP for our tractors. Looking to check the specified 26.5 HP against actual testing.

Second question, is there a way to up the PTO hp by adjusting pressure, etc.

Thanks

not specific to Bobcat- but some dealers reportedly have pto mountable dyno's to verify a tractors horsepower output.

Have seen another post where the owner thought the tractor was producing well over what it was rated- in one case the pto was outputting more than 10 hp more than what it was rated.- i am sure that owner was pleasantly surprised...

you can also check Tractor Data- and it sometimes has links to Nebraska tractor test labs here- http://ccs.infospace.com/ClickHandl...2&mid=9&hash=A23090F6D8BB63CE819D1DC91053C0B0
they do have the CT-450 listed but that is all...?
Hope this is helpful...

Last edited:
   / CT 235 PTO HP testing
Was working with the tiller in my signature today. I got it to dig as deep as it would go and then some. Its the first time it put a load on on my tractor, only dropped RPM's slightly below the 540 rpm mark on the tack, so I am impressed with the power I have. Its rated at 30 to 50 HP. No black smoke, so I will be chatting with my Bobcat Doc on any adjustment possible.

Please keep the comment and thoughts coming - Thanks

/ CT 235 PTO HP testing #5  
The PTO drive is all mechanical from engine to the output shaft, there is no hydraulic pressure adjustment that could/would change it. Only way to increase it is more HP from the engine.

/ CT 235 PTO HP testing
Thanks Dennis. Its surprising the parasitic loss then, but it is probably rated with full power to the drive trans too, I.E. running condition. I did notice a big pick up in power if I backed off the speed. Was running in mid range. When I went to low range things were better. Even under load the tractor did not smoke though. Was wondering if it should have? Still very pleased with it.

/ CT 235 PTO HP testing #7  
Why run in Mid-range tilling? Top speed in low is 4 mph and I don't think you can do any decent job tilling that fast. When working in slower speeds the lower range allows transfer of engine power to the drive system at less pressure = less HP required.

The top speed in low is 4 mph and top speed in Mid-range is 8 mph. Twice as fast, that means the gear ratio/reduction is 200% less, meaning to go half pedal stroke in Mid to get 4 mph, the HST will be working at twice the pressure.

/ CT 235 PTO HP testing
I usually run in mid range for normal work. Usually plenty of power. I just forgot to shift lower. The smooth running hydrostatic drive makes it easy to forget. Like I forget to take it out of 4WD after using it. I go slow anyway, usually running 1800 to 2000 rpm for my normal things. I'm still learning all the ins and outs of this unit. Yesterday I was using the float feature more to scoop and level a large section of ground. I tilled first to make it fluffy, the used float on the bucket to dig forward from a level spot. Worked great.

Just passed the 150 hour point. One thing I have learned is this unit is very picky on good fresh fuel. Had a can that was about 6 months old that made her run a bit rough. No water though. A good dose of Power service cleaned it right up.

/ CT 235 PTO HP testing #9  
Dealer told me that I need to run at 2100 rpm min for the HST to function properly, you are running a little below that. That is for my ck20hst.
Not sure if the optimum RPM is different for your model, but worth finding out.

/ CT 235 PTO HP testing
This week I change up my practice and used low range more - everything fine. Got into some heavy wet clay, digging deep that did put a load on. Buy slowing down in low range everything picked up and ran fine.