VT235 no battery - but not battery

/ VT235 no battery - but not battery #1  

vtfx4

Bronze Member
Tractor
looking
I went to start the tractor today and get nothing. no oil lights, no glow plug light, no headlight and no horn. I tried charging the battery but still nothing. Must be a fuse or connection somewhere. I tried searching but others seem to have slightly different symptoms - like just plain not cranking. Any ideas of where to start.

I have about 270 hours or so on it.

/ VT235 no battery - but not battery #2  
Check that hydro pedal is centered, pto lever not engaged, fuses.

/ VT235 no battery - but not battery #3  
Also check for tight battery connections, good ground connection at the tractor frame. Some tractors have to be in neutral with the gear and also range so check that also in addition to the HST pedal. Seat occupancy switch might be defective, try jumping it also.

/ VT235 no battery - but not battery
Ill try jumping it again, and may take battery in to be tested. I'll also re check the grounds, but they seemed fine.

I can't imagine a relay, lever or fuse making it totally dead. The horn won't even toot.

/ VT235 no battery - but not battery #5  
I had the battery cables corrode completely apart inside the lead battery post connection. If looked fine but was completely gone. Not 10 minutes before it started the tractor just fine but then nothing. I found it by tugging a bit on it to make it reach the battery after I cleaned all the connections and it slipped off. You might want to do an Ohm test on the battery leads to see if they are getting current thru them.

/ VT235 no battery - but not battery #6  
Use your multi-meter to check the battery for voltage. It should show somewhere between 12.5-14 volts.

All fuses were good. Swapped the ignition switch with high beam switch and got nothing. Cleaned up the terminals and battery ground. Looked through all the wires, and everything seemed good. There is still no power to the dash. no lights, no horn, nothing.

It looks like the positive power all goes through the starter and then disperses via various vires. Are these prone to failure? I may also take the dash off and check those wires, but there is no evidence of rodents anywhere I have checked so far.

/ VT235 no battery - but not battery #8  
Check the seat switch connection right behind the seat. Mine has come apart a few times. I can't remember if the dash lights still worked when it happened.

Fixed. Positive terminal connector toasted.