Second front hub this year.

/ Second front hub this year. #1  

MESSMAKER

Veteran Member
Tractor
DK4710SE
Dropped front of tractor in a small rock filled ditch a month ago. Was able to push myself out with the loader. No harm done ? A week later fluid is running out of front hub. Local dealer replaced bearings and axle to the tune of $1100. Friday, I was mowing when I went around a turn and the front wheel on the other side fell completely off. I think it may be another expensive week.

/ Second front hub this year. #2  
Forgive my ignorance, are you suggesting that the tractor in the ditch event did this damage? How much of a drop was it please?

/ Second front hub this year. #3  
Please let us know the details. Tractor model, age, hours, etc... Sounds like a really frustrating situation.

/ Second front hub this year. #4  
Dropped front of tractor in a small rock filled ditch a month ago. Was able to push myself out with the loader. No harm done ? A week later fluid is running out of front hub. Local dealer replaced bearings and axle to the tune of $1100. Friday, I was mowing when I went around a turn and the front wheel on the other side fell completely off. I think it may be another expensive week.

Wow! Did the dealer show you a broken axle and damaged / destroyed bearings from the first incident with the rock filled ditch?
Just the wheel/tire fell off while mowing?
How many hours on the tractor, any prior problems with the front end/axle, etc.?

/ Second front hub this year.
Yeah
I saw the cracked bearing on the first one. I am curious to see what the second one looks like. I have to assume that it has to do with the incident, but can't be yet. My tractor has about 1000 hours on it. No problem with front end. It had fluid in it so that did not to play.

/ Second front hub this year. #6  
Is it off warranty? It seems if they repaired the front end the first time, CORRECTLY, then you shouldn't be loosing a wheel, (from the other side?), soon after the repair?!
If you could be clearer about exactly what you're saying it would help figuring out what is actually going on.
Thanks,

CM

They repaired the front hub on the left side 3 weeks ago.It was on my dollar(out of warranty). After using it for a couple weeks. The hub itself cracked and the right wheel fell off the front of the tractor. All that remained was the splined axle jutting out of the broken hub.. Perhaps, my first repair was not a hub as the bearings,axle and seal were replaced. I can not say for sure what the extent of the damage is to the second repair since Bobcat has not started repairs yet.It appears to be more severe than the other side was. I suspect, but do not know, that it is tied to the event with the ditch.

/ Second front hub this year. #8  
I know I can be awfully dense sometimes.

What does "dropped front of tractor in a small rock filled ditch" mean?

- You drove the tractor off the lawn or driveway and it fell 5' into the ditch?

- The tractor eased off the lawn or driveway and the front end ended up in a shallow rock filled ditch?

- Once in the ditch and mad as heck, you drove the machine over several small boulders?

Could you flesh this out a little more please? Are our Bobcats as fragile as eggs or was this a major event?

Thanks.

I do some commercial mowing so I get into some spots that I am not familiar with. I was mowing a subdivision that has several undeveloped lots, some with a slope that kept me from mowing across the lot and forced me to go up and down. In the middle of one lot was a drainage ditch about 4-5 feet wide that ran all the way to the bottom of the lot and emptied into a catch basin. It ranged from 3 feet deep to nearly level with the surrounding ground. I was backing around the top of the ditch while maneuvering around a power pole when the edge of the ditch collapsed. I stabbed at the brake to stop the tractor and access the situation. I was backing, so I was twisted in the seat, this helped to let my heel hit the hydro pedal at the same time as the brake. This shot the tractor forward over the edge of the ditch. The front end of the tractor fell into the drainage ditch which was filled with football sized stones a couple feet below. It hit hard. I managed to lift the front end back to level with the loader and some rocks. I locked the rear end and backed up until my front end cleared the ditch.Everything seemed to be alright at the time. I counted myself very lucky, it could have went much worse. I just wish I had gotten everything checked out after the first repair, but I was getting behind on jobs and was eager to get back to work.This proves that even a tractor as tough as the Bobcat can be damaged. I guess a little time and a lot of money and everything will be just fine.

/ Second front hub this year. #10  
Good description of what happened.

Thanks and good luck.