CT 230 Won't Go

/ CT 230 Won't Go #1  

lnewcom

Tractor
Bobcat CT230 with 7TL loader
Hi guys. I'm new to tractors so your help is greatly appreciated. I have a CT 230 with 725 hours I purchased used one year ago. I have put 75 hours on it with light small farm use. Recently while doing some minor work it was making a louder than usual hydraulic squeal and then simply would not move up a small incline with no weight or load on it. I checked the rear dip stick and no hydraulic fluid showed up on it. I purchased a universal hydro fluid at Farm and Fleet after the Bobcat dealer tech told me by phone that would work, and filled it to the proper level. Now it will drive seemingly normally but has no power if you add any load. For example, I put about 400 lbs of concrete bags in the loader and it would not move up the very small incline getting out of the barn. The engine is running normally. It seems like the hydrostatic drive is the problem but I don't obviously know. My neighbor farmer told me I could try changing the hydraulic filters and that sometimes solves a problem. Your comments?

/ CT 230 Won't Go #2  
Can you shift through all ranges? Low med and high. And is problem in all ranges.?

/ CT 230 Won't Go #3  
Sounds like it may be in Hi range. I would focus on the shifter.

/ CT 230 Won't Go #4  
If you ran the hydrostat out of fluid then you can plan on a expensive repair bill. You may be lucky and just have something stuck in one of the reliefs or have it in high range. CJ

/ CT 230 Won't Go #6  
A good question no one has asked is "where did the hydraulic fluid go"? and how much did you pour in? You don't fix problems by pouring in a quantity of hydraulic fluid without knowing why the fluid level is low to begin with. Or you pour some in and then start looking for the leak.

/ CT 230 Won't Go #7  
First rule: Always check your fluid levels, all of them, before using your tractor.
Second rule: If your tractor is broken, don't use it until it's fixed.

Yours acts like you're running in high range, which is geared for speed on the level for transporting purposes, not hauling loads or going up hills.

/ CT 230 Won't Go
thanks for your comments. The fluid leaked out from a hydraulic hose fitting on the loader. I replaced hose. After shifting through the gears, based on comments here, it has returned to normal operation. Whew. I priced a replacement Hydro trans at over $3,000 for the part alone.