Winter Prep

/ Winter Prep #1  

MoPops

Veteran Member
Tractor
Bobcat CT225, John Deere X540
I have to admit.. This 225 is the first diesel I've ever owned. I'm still running the tractor, and I imagine I will most of the winter, but do I need to do anything to prep it for cold weather? Isn't there a diesel additive for cold weather?
I've put a whopping 40 hrs on it since purchased new, so I guess it's not really due for its first service. 50 hrs, right?
Just treat it like it's any other time? I just want to make sure I'm not missing anything.
Also, when starting, I run the glow plug for a while, how long to I need to run the glow plug before starting? Until the light goes out? I've not waited that long so far..
I'm just a poor city guy trying to get by in the country. Ha
Thanks,
Jeff

/ Winter Prep #2  
I'd add some anti-gel (like Power Service) to your tank in case you run it this winter. You could do the 50 hr service now, but I'd wait until spring since you don't use it that much anyway. Your warranty might be a deciding factor. And if it starts after a few seconds on the glow plug, that's probably enough is my thinking on that.
Cheers,
Mike

/ Winter Prep #3  
Your doing just fine Jeff.
Check the antifrezzer for colder temps.
Additives for diesel,I like to purchase diesel where they sell lot but mostly to cities/towns highway dept. electric power companies for there truck...fresh.
Glow plugs,good 20-30 secs during the winter months,15F or cold pluging heater can be BIG help.
Just keep her grease up good eye on fluilds.

/ Winter Prep
Thanks guys. Just making sure. Fluids are all ok.
I had the radiator replaced mid summer when I drove a limb through it.. So I suspect all my new antifreeze is in good shape, but I'll check it.
Thx

/ Winter Prep #5  
I also use the Power Service stuff and its done well for me.

On my CT235 the glow plug light stays on for 30 seconds or so. Once the lights go off I turn the key to start. I've never been in such a hurry that I start while the glow plug light is on!

MoKelly

/ Winter Prep
I also use the Power Service stuff and its done well for me. On my CT235 the glow plug light stays on for 30 seconds or so. Once the lights go off I turn the key to start. I've never been in such a hurry that I start while the glow plug light is on! MoKelly
Well,, I think I've forgotten about the glow plug a few times. It always started right up. I think I'll pay a bit more attention to it.

/ Winter Prep #7  
MoPops,

What is the coldest your tractor is exposed when starting? This determines to what extent, and how much cold starting aids a diesel engine needs: glow plug cycle time, blended fuel %, fuel anti-gel & water demulsion additives, fuel cetane level etc.

/ Winter Prep #8  
MoPops - check you owners manual for recommended weight oil to have in for the expected temps. I only use my glow plugs enough to get a good start, but usually I am in hurry. Dont worry about the full 50 hour service, just change the oil if needed. I would even be cheap and not change the filter. I use a synthetc oil in mine - name brand from WalMart

Diesel additive is a must. I too use power Service, but I also keep a quart of thier 911 rescue, just in case things jell - been there done that. Get a spare fuel filter, just in case.

Do you have a block heater. I do and it has been a great help when things get down towards zero.

Just my .02 - hope it helps.

/ Winter Prep
MoPops, What is the coldest your tractor is exposed when starting? This determines to what extent, and how much cold starting aids a diesel engine needs: glow plug cycle time, blended fuel %, fuel anti-gel & water demulsion additives, fuel cetane level etc.
I keep it in a un heated barn, it might be a few degrees warmer than outside, but not much. If it's below zero, I won't be using it. I don't clear snow with it, but I will be using it to haul rock down to the pond I'm working on this winter. It's muddy now, so I'll have to do it when the ground is frozen.
The coldest I imagine I'd be working is around 10 to 15.. Below that, and I'll find something else to do.

/ Winter Prep
MoPops - check you owners manual for recommended weight oil to have in for the expected temps. I only use my glow plugs enough to get a good start, but usually I am in hurry. Dont worry about the full 50 hour service, just change the oil if needed. I would even be cheap and not change the filter. I use a synthetc oil in mine - name brand from WalMart Diesel additive is a must. I too use power Service, but I also keep a quart of thier 911 rescue, just in case things jell - been there done that. Get a spare fuel filter, just in case. Do you have a block heater. I do and it has been a great help when things get down towards zero. Just my .02 - hope it helps.
No block heater, and I don't plan on getting one. I may put the battery on a tender. I'll be grabbing the additive and the 911 rescue.

Thanks