Replacement Battery Terminal Clamp??

/ Replacement Battery Terminal Clamp?? #1  

Steelstring

Bronze Member
So I had the dreaded battery leakage and didn't notice it for a bit. Now my positive battery terminal clamp has disintegrated. Is there a direct replacement anyone would suggest? I'm thinking a 90 degree crimp connector and a standard replacement terminal clamp with a 3/8" post. If I go that route, does anyone know what gauge wire is used for the positive cable so I can get the right crimp connector?

Thanks!

/ Replacement Battery Terminal Clamp?? #2  
My preference would be only one crimp point, over 2 new ones - each one adds a bit of resistance, and a potential failure point.

If your cable is now too short, most auto parts stores can supply a replacement cable. Just match the cable body up to what is in stock.... you won't go wrong buying a heavier (thicker) gauge cable. Guessing 4 gauge, but that's just a wild guess as I don't know your tractor model.

Once the connections are cleaned up, coat the terminals with something to help protect them. Most any grease is better than nothing; there are a few threads on here discussing various options for terminal coatings.

Rgds, D.

/ Replacement Battery Terminal Clamp?? #3  
After you've fabricated your new leads, clean out the battery box and spray the inside with several coats of truck bed liner.

/ Replacement Battery Terminal Clamp?? #4  
Steelstring;

You have the same tractor I have. The battery cable connectors are crap. I had them changed twice (positive) on warranty. A few months ago the same thing (failure of the positive clamp) happened again. I went down to the automotive parts store (Lordco) and bought heavy duty cables, heavier than the cables currently on the tractor with "real" connectors. I believe the positive cable was 48 inch and the negative cable was 18 inches, just measure the ones you have. These heavy duty puppies will never fail, I had trouble bending them to get them aligned so that will tell you the gauge size. In this case, bigger is better.

Fred

/ Replacement Battery Terminal Clamp?? #5  
Fred - twice ? Wow, are those factory connectors made out of tinfoil ?

Joking aside, what is the alternator putting out for voltage at PTO rpm ? Just wondering if the regulator is set too high......(not implying an adjustable voltage regulator.....). Do you have to top up the battery often ?

I've also found the treated top post washers (red/green) to be some help in cutting down terminal corrosion.

Rgds, D.

/ Replacement Battery Terminal Clamp?? #6  
I use the washers and the spray battery post coating, and that pretty much eliminates corrosion at the post clamps. Also check chassis ground bolt and do the same there. Notorious for causing grounding/corrosion issues on tractors.

/ Replacement Battery Terminal Clamp?? #7  
Fred - twice ? Wow, are those factory connectors made out of tinfoil ?

Joking aside, what is the alternator putting out for voltage at PTO rpm ? Just wondering if the regulator is set too high......(not implying an adjustable voltage regulator.....). Do you have to top up the battery often ?

I've also found the treated top post washers (red/green) to be some help in cutting down terminal corrosion.

Yes, the factory connectors are not much better than tinfoil. I finally replaced the battery after 5 years with a top quality replacement and greased the terminals, this was six months ago and so far everything is fine.

/ Replacement Battery Terminal Clamp?? #8  
I found this Battery Cable Repair Spice at O'Reillys Auto Parts store. It was a perfect solution because it allowed me to extend the main positive cable as well as the smaller red wire that clipped into the connector.

IMG_4321.JPG

/ Replacement Battery Terminal Clamp?? #9  
Can you post a picture of it installed. When I replaced my battery I went with ones with posts to front - this would have come in handy for that extra inch of cable I needed.