Not the battery

/ Not the battery #1  

MoPops

Veteran Member
Tractor
Bobcat CT225, John Deere X540
My CT225 wouldn't start last week. Just a humming sound when I turn the key, either way. I thought it might be the battery, so I put it on a trickle charger for a week. Tried to start it again on Saturday, same sounds. I thought it might be a bad battery, so I took it out and had Battery's Plus test it. It's fine. Still reads like new. They tested under a load. He said more of a load than I possibly could be using it. Plus it came back pretty fast. He said I'd like to sell you a battery, but there's nothing wrong with this one.
So, I called the local Bobcat repair guy. He said check all the safety shut off switches first. Seat, drive pedal, PTO, etc.
I'll be back at the farm tomorrow. Anyone thing of anything else I can check. Anything else that may be causing this?
Appreciate any feedback.
Thanks
Jeff

/ Not the battery #2  
Check the starter relay. On my Kioti it is behind the coolant tank mounted on the firewall. Mine is a 70amp 12 volt 4 pin relay.

/ Not the battery #3  
If I remember well take a stick and tap the side of the starter pretty hard, I said tap not beat. Sounds like a stuck bendix. I used to use a small baseball bat like a pool cue. I think bindix is the right word I don't feel the best this morning and my brain is kinda foggy. Ed

/ Not the battery #5  
Don't forget to check your grounds. Do your lights stay lit when you crank?

/ Not the battery #7  
Mine refuses to start at least once a year. No reason that I have ever found. I jump the starter solenoid to get it going, and it will be fine for another year.

/ Not the battery
I'm not real skilled under the hood. I can certainly identify the starter, but I'm not sure I can try bypassing anything. I'd hook something up wrong, and cause $2.000 worth of damages. I'll check grounds, safety switches, tap the starter. Will it help to try and move it? We had a old Galaxy 500, that we had to rock back and forth when it wouldn't start. I'll know more tomorrow.
Thanks

/ Not the battery #9  
If you don't feel comfortable I don't blame you. To use the remote starter button you would hook one lead up to the big terminal where the positive cable is coming from the battery. (right hand terminal on picture). The other lead would hook to the small spade terminal. Then push the remote button. In doing this you are by passing all safety switches, ignition switch, relays, etc. One would need to think with safety having tractor out of gear, etc. The test will tell you if your starter is good as long at the battery and large battery cables are good and have good connections. New Starter Mahindra 4110 Tractor Daedong Kioti E5500 6301 E5500 6314 600931 | eBay

/ Not the battery #10  
My first guess is the key switch. Many posts about minor trouble there if it has been exposed to weather. Try some contact cleaner or fluid film in the key slot.