CT 235 Tire chain fit - need a bit of help

/ CT 235 Tire chain fit - need a bit of help #1  

powerscol

Veteran Member
Tractor
CT 235
I have a thread running in the snow forum, but thought I would ask here about the clearance issue.

First I am running the GP tires 15x19.5 8 ply in the rear (filled) and 25 x 8.5 - 14 (4 ply) up front - turns out they are considered garden tractor /atv tires on most tire chain sites.

Types for rear - 15-19.5 Tractor Tire Chains and for front 25-8.50-14 Tire Chains

I am also looking at the aquiline talons Aquiline Tire Chains

For those running the GP tires, what chains are fitting? It appears I only have 2" of clearance from the sidewall to the inside fender. Also has anyone used wheel spacers on thier CT235 and where did you get them and what size.

Thanks for any measurement you might have and pictures would be great too.

/ CT 235 Tire chain fit - need a bit of help #2  
My 235 has ag tires and rims have numerous adjustments to move them out. I know nothing about the GP tires or your rims. Just putting something out to consider.

/ CT 235 Tire chain fit - need a bit of help #3  
By GP do you mean General Purpose. Only tires I can think of are Ag (R1), Industrial (R4), or Turf tires (R3).
I replied to your other thread thinking 15X19.5 were R4 Industrials which are the same as I had on my Mahindra 2615HST. No matter what tire you have you need a couple inches of clearance to add chains.

/ CT 235 Tire chain fit - need a bit of help
The manual calls them General purpose, but you can also refer to them as industrial R4. they look like this tire under the chains Tractor Studded Tire Chains
I do have 2" at the sidewall and maybe more up the side wall towards the tread block. Dealers say I need three inches. So far I can't find wheel spacers and per my owners manual the GP tires are not adjustable like the Agg tires are.

I'm tempted to get the Talons and the tool and make t work by not having any loos links on the inside with a tight fit

/ CT 235 Tire chain fit - need a bit of help #5  
For what it is worth I have the Aquiline MPC chains on my DK35se with R4 tires, and I had to take the adjuster off of the inside and replace it with a quick chain link to get enough clearance. I have about 1/2 inch. Also have to keep the chains very tight. I don't have any spacers.

/ CT 235 Tire chain fit - need a bit of help #6  
I have the same model of tractor and tires as K0ua, and therefore the similar clearance issues. I think the rear tire clearance without chains is less than 2" on the sidewall and about 1/2" with chains as K0ua states.

It took me a couple of years of messing around, but I finally arrived at configuration with no interference (despite the small space) and the chains are easy to install. My solution was similar to K0ua's. That is, run the chains tight and pay particular attention as to how you connect the ends. Try to keep the chain pattern across the closure gap symmetrical and consistent with the rest of the chain. In my case I had a space across the end connect that I filled with a regular ladder chain cross link. That eventually would shift on the tire and threaten to cause problems. I fixed it by adding another DUO pattern across the end gap as shown here:

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/...ed-modifications-post4045498.html#post4045498

The chains now stay completely straight. I still have chain tensioners but don't run them as tight as before.

Similar to your original post, I got small/garden tractor H-pattern chains for my front 27x10.5-15 R4's. However, I had to purchase 2" spacers (from Bro-tek) for the front. There was no way to make the H-pattern or other chains work without them. I had small 2-link ladders modified to run high on the tread, but they still would shift and sometimes interfere with the front axle members. Here is a link to a thread about the front chains:

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/...hains-dk35se-cab-post4071972.html#post4071972

The front chains have plenty of clearance and I don't need them as tight or run with tensioners. I will remove the spacers in the spring.

If you want to make finer adjustments to the side chain lengths, you can use side chain repair links:

SideChainRepairLink.jpg

or Crosby repair links:

CrosbyMissingLinkCoupler.jpg

or pin couplers:

TireChainPinCoupler.jpg

which are shorter than the more common quick links. You can replace some of the normal side chain links with these shorter links.

I find pin couplers very handy for connecting the chain ends when mounting them. But they are not common, and some suppliers charge a ridiculous price. I was fortunate to get mine at a good price from a local supplier.

/ CT 235 Tire chain fit - need a bit of help
Update - Joe at Quality Chain is checking into a custom fabrication with a narrower width (20") to fit higher on my R4 tires. Will know a bit later on this. He has a shipment of bulk length Trygg Safety Grip (bar diamond and cross links) and other patterns coming in and can fab up the width and length for a higher fit where I have 3" of clearance. Will know more later.

/ CT 235 Tire chain fit - need a bit of help #8  
Update - Joe at Quality Chain is checking into a custom fabrication with a narrower width (20") to fit higher on my R4 tires. Will know a bit later on this. He has a shipment of bulk length Trygg Safety Grip (bar diamond and cross links) and other patterns coming in and can fab up the width and length for a higher fit where I have 3" of clearance. Will know more later.

That will probably work, I often thought why in the world couldn't the chains have come up on the side of the tire just a bit to have much more clearance.