ct225 sudden loss of power in high range

/ ct225 sudden loss of power in high range #1  

unclesalty

Bronze Member
Tractor
09 ct-225 w/loader
lately my 225 (535 hrs) cant use high range. Since new we've pretty much used high for driving around and mowing with no problems.
pushing on the pedal now will just stall the tractor. Hydro level is good and all hydraulics work fine.
We don't put many hours on per year, The last fluid change at 400 hrs was 2 years ago. The tractor gets the most use in the barn, we use it daily to run the manure out to the pile. Its a 15 min short run every day. I'm thinking its probably a good idea to do another
hydro change-not because of hours but for the harsh use.

/ ct225 sudden loss of power in high range #2  
lately my 225 (535 hrs) cant use high range. Since new we've pretty much used high for driving around and mowing with no problems.
pushing on the pedal now will just stall the tractor. Hydro level is good and all hydraulics work fine.
We don't put many hours on per year, The last fluid change at 400 hrs was 2 years ago. The tractor gets the most use in the barn, we use it daily to run the manure out to the pile. Its a 15 min short run every day. I'm thinking its probably a good idea to do another
hydro change-not because of hours but for the harsh use.
And change the filters too.

/ ct225 sudden loss of power in high range #3  
If the tractor still operates in the other ranges normally then I would consider a gearing problem or linkage problem in the range shifting area. Are you confident the range shift is engaging high range completely? Does the range shift handle operate smoothly as always?

/ ct225 sudden loss of power in high range #4  
Not meaning to insult you, but check that brakes are not locked on. May have enough power to move it in lower ranges, but would cause stall in hi range.

/ ct225 sudden loss of power in high range #5  
First things that come to mind to me is have you checked your fuel filter and do you have your rear remote stuck in detent mode?

/ ct225 sudden loss of power in high range #6  
Be sure your 3PH feedback linkage is still adjusted ok if external and adjustable. Test for this is to gradually raise the 3PH to full height and listen for the system to go into bypass near the top of travel and/or to set to ~1/2 height and see if o'all power is still lacking.

It's said that operating in high range at low speeds and 'lower' rpm (light duty notwithstanding) is 'hard' use compared to getting the revs up and a full pedal stomp in 'Med' range to speed. (think of it as 'lugging' the pump/system to cause excess wear/detritus & eventual 'power' loss)

Not familiar (tho' impressed) with the brand/model, but if there is an alarm switch on the parking brake that doesn't let one dismount unless applied it may not alert to the brakes still being applied/locked when moving. (good call, MESSMAKER)

I sure hope the possibilities have been covered above, .. something simple like a more frequent filter changes ...

/ ct225 sudden loss of power in high range
Not meaning to insult you, but check that brakes are not locked on. May have enough power to move it in lower ranges, but would cause stall in hi range.
Not insulted, but I would have been embarrassed!
The brakes are off, Ive got a new fuel filter installed, the 3ph is operating normally. The linkage seems fine or normal, Ive got one of those hard to shift models. Its been through the full range of motion. I'll check for full linkage engagement.
I will look at the rear remote lever to see if its been moved. Its never been used so I didn't even think to look at it.

/ ct225 sudden loss of power in high range #8  
Also try putting tractor in neutral and see if you can push it by hand on a hard surface. You should be able to roll it. That will tell you if something is hanging up. And check the air filter.

/ ct225 sudden loss of power in high range #9  
This may be totally irrelevant. When i bought my tractor (CT235), The seat switch was somehow disabled. I'm not sure how it was done, but when messing with seat adjustment, it came loose. I think maybe they had it wedged so the button was always depressed. The tractor started fine, but when you pushed the motion pedal, it would die very quickly, with little or no movement. Is that what yours is doing? Maybe you should try jumping the seat switch to see if that fixes it.

/ ct225 sudden loss of power in high range
Be sure your 3PH feedback linkage is still adjusted ok if external and adjustable. Test for this is to gradually raise the 3PH to full height and listen for the system to go into bypass near the top of travel and/or to set to ~1/2 height and see if o'all power is still lacking.

Looks like my rear remotes were engaged! turned them off and I'm back to normal.
Thanks all
Brian