Bent front wheel

/ Bent front wheel #1  

MESSMAKER

Veteran Member
Tractor
DK4710SE
I have a ct225 and hit a curb with the front tire the other day. I was running the tire a bit low on air and it bent the outside rim a bit. It now has a slow leak. Can I straighten it or am I going to be looking for a new wheel?Anybody know what a new wheel cost?

/ Bent front wheel #2  
If the bend is only in the bead area you can dismount the tire and hammer it back down. I've done it a few times on car and truck rims for friends that also hit a curb and bent the bead lip. (Though, I think their bent rims were alcohol related.) Once hammered straight I remounted and balanced the assembly and checked for leaks. It is more difficult if the rim is bent toward the hub area and may need replacing.

/ Bent front wheel
I don't think the bead is bent. The lip turns in about 3/16 and I think it may be pushing the tire away from the rim ever so slightly.

/ Bent front wheel #4  
I don't think the bead is bent. The lip turns in about 3/16 and I think it may be pushing the tire away from the rim ever so slightly.

Take the tire to your favorite tire shop and have them straighten the rim and seal the bead.:thumbsup:

/ Bent front wheel #5  
If the rim can't be straightened enough to seal the tire, wouldn't it be cheaper/faster to just put a tube in the tire? I ruined a rear tire on my CT235,(puncture in the sidewall) and the tire shop was drooling, wanting to sell me a tire. I asked him about tubing the tire. He said it didn't even enter his mind. Yeah right. Tractor running great with the tube. JP

/ Bent front wheel
Putting a tube in can be a problem if you deal with thorns, as I do. You can use Slime and plug the tire if needed. Does not work well with a tube.

/ Bent front wheel #7  
Yellow Slime works with a tube.

/ Bent front wheel #8  
The front wheels are NOT expensive.

Long story: I bought my tractor used, and someone had put a narrow front rim on with the original R4 tire. Tire was cracking because of the wrong rim size, and eventually leaked bad. Bought 2 new front tires, and ordered a rim from Bobcat (expecting it to be very expensive). I was pleasantly surprised. I don't have my receipt in front of me, but it was on the order of $50.

/ Bent front wheel #9  
The front wheels are NOT expensive.

Long story: I bought my tractor used, and someone had put a narrow front rim on with the original R4 tire. Tire was cracking because of the wrong rim size, and eventually leaked bad. Bought 2 new front tires, and ordered a rim from Bobcat (expecting it to be very expensive). I was pleasantly surprised. I don't have my receipt in front of me, but it was on the order of $50.

You may be surprised that most of the Bobcat CT parts have been marked down to liquidate surplus inventory. :)