CT235 won't turn over

/ CT235 won't turn over #1  

Lockport

Platinum Member
Tractor
Bobcat CT235
It was running, no pto, I set the brake got off the seat and it started to stall. I sat down it kept running, I got off again it started to stall and I sat down, it kept running. Verified the brake was set, it was. Got off, it stalled, got back on and it won't turn over. Turn the key, the solenoid "clacks" but nothing. Tried swapping the relays on the firewall. No effect. Any suggestions?

Further: seems it "clacks" if I'm not in the seat and won't crank as expected. But if I'm in the seat, a muffled "frump" is heard upon ignition. And if I get out of the seat, I hear the loud "clack" but it still won't turn over.

Conclusion: debris in the hydro pedal safety micro switch is interrupting the start command. Clear the blockage and assure the hydro pedal centering is closing the contact. You should hear a little click.

Last edited:
   / CT235 won't turn over #2  
You mentioned no pto. Not sure how this fits in the equation but will ask, are you sure your pto safety switch is not activated?

/ CT235 won't turn over #3  
Lockport; Did you happen to readjust brake pedals recently before this stalling when getting off happened? I ask because mine does this occasionally and started soon after adjusting brakes, I got brakes just a bit too tight so parking lock is trying to engage in first tooth of lock and sometimes I do not press the pedal hard enough to get lever locked. I should go back and loosen pedal travel but haven't down so yet.

Winston: His comment regarding no PTO was that he hadn't been using it. You are that it is something to check as I have accidently bumped PTO lever off and it is enough to move the lever pressure off the switch and have no crank.

/ CT235 won't turn over
SSdoxie:
Actually it was one of two things that amounted to debris i.e. grass clippings, pine needles, blocking the micro switch on the hydro from opening. I'd air gunned the deck and sent years of pond needles I all directions, and then I was using an 80" lawn dethatcher/rake I built but driving over mounds of grass before raising the rake to release its contents. In turn, once I set the brake and got off it was as though depressing the hydro while not on the seat, or attempting to start it while the hydro is initiating a drive state. I left it out all night then with a cup of coffee and clear perspective in the morning I walked out to the field, fingered the micro-switch and heard it's click upon release. It started right up.

/ CT235 won't turn over #5  
I know mine wouldn't start unless it was in neutral.

It would also shut off if you got off the seat unless the tractor brake was set and it was in neutral.

If that's not it I'd look at the battery. They are notorious for failure and corroding badly even on new machines.

/ CT235 won't turn over
If the PTO is engaged and the brake set, you should be able to get off, put the seat up, and it should still run. I've not heard of it needing to be in neutral.

/ CT235 won't turn over #7  
it still won't turn over.
Ah, our CT122 will. Here's proof! :laughing:
Travis

20130828_161528s.jpg

/ CT235 won't turn over #8  
If the PTO is engaged and the brake set, you should be able to get off, put the seat up, and it should still run. I've not heard of it needing to be in neutral.

Mine was a CT445 but it would die if you got off the seat and it wasn't in neutral.

/ CT235 won't turn over #10  
Hope no one was hurt, but how did you manage to do it? Looks like level ground

Seat belt was on and no one was hurt. It hit a little dip with a mouthful of rocks lifted a little too high!
Things happen fast, so be careful!

Here's an upright Bobcat pic for you guys! It has the same size Wicked Grapple installed on it.
Travis

50singlebobcatct235.jpg