ct 225 just died while in use

/ ct 225 just died while in use #1  

unclesalty

Bronze Member
Tractor
09 ct-225 w/loader
my tractor just stopped running while I was driving it around. I had just dumped a load of manure out back and was heading to the house when the power went off and I coasted to a stop. If I turn on the key nothing on the dash lights up, no relays click and the starter won't turn. The glow plug light will light and all the lights work.
Battery measures 12.6 and even a jump won't do anything.
all fuses under the dash are good, the main fuse is good. I switched the relays on the firewall and the 2 by the neg batt terminal, still nothing
I jiggled and massaged the ignition to no avail.
all my pro switches are in neutral and the go pedal microswitch is free and working correctly.
Any ideas on what to try next?

/ ct 225 just died while in use #2  
My first instinct would be to check the crappy battery terminals that these tractors come with but you said that your lights still work. I would still be checking that anyways just to rule it out I don't know why but the battery terminals are such that they corrode very easily and you cannot tell till you remove them. Remove them clean them and replace them if necessary just to rule that out.

/ ct 225 just died while in use #3  
Check any safety switch's (seat switch, Etc,)

/ ct 225 just died while in use
My first instinct would be to check the crappy battery terminals that these tractors come with but you said that your lights still work. I would still be checking that anyways just to rule it out I don't know why but the battery terminals are such that they corrode very easily and you cannot tell till you remove them. Remove them clean them and replace them if necessary just to rule that out.
Battery terms are good, Just tested the ignition switch tested ok. The big problem I'm having is the weather. Im just above tampa. We've already got 12" rain, it rained again last night and is fixing to rain some more.
I guess Ill try and get my neighbor to tow me inside with his kubota. I don't know if it will be worth the shame.....

/ ct 225 just died while in use #5  
Seat safety switch. To check pull the connection and short across. Otherwise check the fuel shut off solenoid. If it not getting power it wont work. Possibly a loose wire. Also is oil level OK - I cant remember if these units have a low oil kill or not. Your owners manual may have other places to check.

/ ct 225 just died while in use
well I checked all the relays and redid my battery clamps again with no change.
I got a kyoti electrical diagram, its a little different but It helped. From the ignition there are 2 leads, one to the start relay and a smaller lead to the instrument panel. both had fuses a 25 and a 3.
Back to the fuse block (I had checked these first thing yesterday), the 25 was good then the 3 Well i'll be a ... the 3 volt fuse was bad. the fuse block cover lists it as a lightning bolt.
I replaced the fuse and the tractor started right up, It worked well until I got off and left it running, as soon as I sat down it died again. I replaced the fuse and started it back up I raised my rear from the seat and
sat down again and the fuse blew again. Ive since jumped my seat safety and so far so good.
the power to the switch must be grounding out somewhere.

/ ct 225 just died while in use #7  
Wow what a crazy gremlin to chase down. Glad you figured it out.

/ ct 225 just died while in use #8  
well I checked all the relays and redid my battery clamps again with no change.
I got a kyoti electrical diagram, its a little different but It helped. From the ignition there are 2 leads, one to the start relay and a smaller lead to the instrument panel. both had fuses a 25 and a 3.
Back to the fuse block (I had checked these first thing yesterday), the 25 was good then the 3 Well i'll be a ... the 3 volt fuse was bad. the fuse block cover lists it as a lightning bolt.
I replaced the fuse and the tractor started right up, It worked well until I got off and left it running, as soon as I sat down it died again. I replaced the fuse and started it back up I raised my rear from the seat and
sat down again and the fuse blew again. Ive since jumped my seat safety and so far so good.
the power to the switch must be grounding out somewhere.

For what it is worth the manual shows the lightning bolt fuse to be 5amp and goes to the alternator. Bobcat manual.

/ ct 225 just died while in use #9  
Glad you were able to track it down

/ ct 225 just died while in use #10  
Thanks for the update