Full service - How hard is it to do really?

/ Full service - How hard is it to do really? #1  

powerscol

Veteran Member
Tractor
CT 235
Just wondering how hard this is to do and if there are any tricks or tools needed. I change my own oil. Just wondering how hard the other filters are to get off. Also to fill the hydraulics, is there another fill location other than the little tube out back. I have a Bobcat CT 235. Thanks for any thoughts sources for filters, etc. I do get good prices from Bobcat on most of them.

One other question, and I know this will kick up a storm. Is there another brand of Hydraulic oil folks know is good (good or better than Bobcat). I have access to most brands) I am not talking about the TSC/Sam's/Walmart brands either, unless these are proven. Thanks

/ Full service - How hard is it to do really? #2  
I do all my maintenance and have changed all fluids and filters on my CT235. I cannot remember any unusual occurances while doing it. For what it is worth I am running the Tractor Supply Traveler brand fluid. Have been for a couple of hundred hours. Sure not saying this proves anything other than maybe I'm stupid. I'm sure it proves I'm cheap.

Not sure which little tube you are speaking of, the fill cap is the rubber one with the 180 degree bend of top of it.

/ Full service - How hard is it to do really? #3  
No special tricks to this. Remember to drain both oil pan plugs, all 3 hydraulic drains (main plug plus 1 at each axle housing) and do NOT over tighten plugs when reinstalling. Filters aren't too bad to get off unless it is first time change on the filter under the platform, that can be challenging.

Any quality Universal Tractor Fluid is fine. Tractor did not come with Bobcat fluid in it, was built using same fluid as Kioti. Check Kioti forum to see what their manual recommends. Shell and Mobil are 2 reliable and I haven't heard of anyone complaining about TSC Traveler.

/ Full service - How hard is it to do really? #4  
I also used the traveler fluid and have been happy with it. The hydraulic filters were difficult to get off at my first service. I wouldn't recommend taking it somewhere just because of that though. Just be ready to deal with a tight filter not that big of a deal. Hardest thing is putting the fluid back in the small fill hole in the back.

It holds A LOT of fluid. So be ready with multiple containers or 5 gallon bucket's to catch it all.

/ Full service - How hard is it to do really? #5  
I also used the traveler fluid and have been happy with it. The hydraulic filters were difficult to get off at my first service. I wouldn't recommend taking it somewhere just because of that though. Just be ready to deal with a tight filter not that big of a deal. Hardest thing is putting the fluid back in the small fill hole in the back.

It holds A LOT of fluid. So be ready with multiple containers or 5 gallon bucket's to catch it all.

It really helps to have a second pair of hands to get the fluid in to keep from making a mess.

/ Full service - How hard is it to do really?
If I do it I will get a cheap Harbor Freight hand pump. I have an older one, but its very dirty. I fill jugs with used motor oil from my collection bucket. Still debating as I do what them to give the unit a solid going over.

After getting a quote of about $500 from the dealer, I am going to tackle this myself. SSdoxie - thanks for the tip on the rear axle plugs. While I have yet to look, what about the front axle and what fluid does it take? Last question is the hydraulic/trans oil. I have read the threads on it, but I want something Good - not the cheapest. I have several sources. What are folks actually using?

Thanks everyone

/ Full service - How hard is it to do really? #8  
Manual states 80W-90 gear lube for front axle. I use Walmart brand.
Manual states use Bobcat fluid, Viscosity, astm d445, viscosity index astm d2270. I use Tractor Supply Traveler brand. The chart in manual shows Bobcat fluid to be good from -40F to +120F.
The reviews on the Traveler Brand are all good.

Well I dove into it today. Got the front axle drained and refilled - sure too a while to drain. NOTE TO FOLKS, CHECK YOU LOWER DRAIN PLUGS AT THE BOTTOM OF EACH WHEEL SPINDLE. MINE WERE BARELY TIGHT. The on to engine oil - Filter was a bear to get off, but finally did. Got the radiator drained and refiled and changed the fuel filter without issue.

Tomorrow - the fun. I will tackle the hydraulics. I plan to line a few 5 gallon buckets to collect in so I can recycle later. Filter prices were not too bad. 6695913 - $50.23 and 6695914 - $22.97. Iv had the oil filter on my shelf for about 6 months. I think I paid about $9 for it. I did use Bobcat oil $47.8 for the 2.5 gallon jug. TSC was short stocked :thumbdown: - a problem for our store, and Walmart was out too :eek:. I did mark both the axle and filters with the date and hours at change - help me remember later :confused3::D

What might help if folk post the prices they are paying so others could possibly order online or over the phone to get good prices as there is no aftermarket for them yet.

So far not too bad for me - a little stiff and timid at how much force to use on the filters.

Question - any tip on getting the hydraulic fluid in the little filler hole?

Thanks

/ Full service - How hard is it to do really? #10  
You just have to have confidence you can do it and then do it. I had someone come up and do the first service (my first tractor) and I watched it all. After that I had the confidence I could handle it. One point: at that first service the guy could not get one of the hydraulic filters off - he tried everything. After an hour he was going to give up. I suggested we put the vice grip oil filter wrench on the filter, hook a small chain to that and to my pick up and let me try to nudge it off that way. He said no, he tried some more, than said we would try the pick-up plan. It worked - popped the filter loose.

A few points:
-- it sure is convenient if you have one of those mechanic's creepers to get under the tractor- especially if you are 72 like me.
-- when you put the filters back on spread some new oil around the rubber gasket - that way they will come off easier the next time.
-- read the manual carefully so you don't miss anything - I prepared a check list for each task. There can be a lot of plugs to drain- for the hydraulic fluid, the engine oil, the front axle, and perhaps more - I think there were 9 or 10 I had to access. Also learn about all the lube points on the tractor and FEL or whatever.
-- make sure you have all the correct filters for oil and air, and enough oil, grease, etc. before you begin.
-- if you have a sight glass it would be useful to add dye to the hydraulic oil when you refill it.
-- have sufficient containers to collect the old oil for recycling.
-- have a lot of rags.
-- If you have questions, remember you have access to hundreds of skilled tractor guys on this forum.
-- It will be much easier the second time.
-- after you are done, write down anything that was confusing or unique or that you might need to remember the next time.

I consider that I am a bit of a newbie - certainly a novice at maintenance. Less than 900 hours on the tractor. It will be very satisfying once you do this, and you will learn a lot about your tractor.
NOTE: my tractor is a Kubota 3410 - I don't know much about Bobcats but hopefully some of these points will be relevant.