Bad day,Lost an engine

/ Bad day,Lost an engine #1  

MESSMAKER

Veteran Member
Tractor
DK4710SE
Was mowing horse pasture that was a bit high but not overgrown since I mowed it in mid summer. I smelled oil so I got off to investigate. A 3 foot branch had speared my oil filter and bent the canister just enough to allow the oil to leak out. I was not really alarmed ,since did not appear to be a huge amount of oil and I recognized the limb from about 500 yards back. I put on a new filter and refilled with oil(1 gallon) which brought it almost up to the full mark, so that left it with about 2 quarts so I was not too concerned. Got it up and running only to have it start clattering, in about five min. I loaded it up and took it home to give it a closer look. Removed the oil filter and opened it only to find metal everywhere. possibly just rod bearings, but I doubt I am that lucky. What to do now?I am thinking new motor, but ouch. I am not a good enough mechanically to do an engine rebuild and don't have a garage either. I could replace the rod bearings and fill it with Lucas and get rid of it, but that is not really my style. What would you guys do?

/ Bad day,Lost an engine #2  
Sorry for your grief. How many hours on the tractor?

That's why I don't understand why they don't have audible warning for critical functions.

/ Bad day,Lost an engine
It has 1450 hrs so it has been used some, but I was hoping for double that before I was in this spot.

/ Bad day,Lost an engine #4  
Rebuild the motor, That would be cheaper than a new crate motor.

/ Bad day,Lost an engine #5  
Any good engine re-builder can do the work. Maybe they and tweak a bit more power for you too. Find a re-builder familiar with Diesels. From what I know its not too bad of a job to pull it.

If you do decide to replace, the CT 235 engine should fit. Frame is the same on both, just more HP on the engine. Kioti engines should fit too. Equivalent series is the CK 25 and CK 35

/ Bad day,Lost an engine
What would be a good guess on rebuild and install? I am thinking a new engine will be 5 grand or close.

/ Bad day,Lost an engine #7  
Sorry to hear of your motor issues.

I'm a big fan of the IH T3444e/7.3 powerstroke motor, one of the reasons is the hydraulically actuated injection system. If motor oil gets low enough to not oil the bearings, oil pressure is lost to the injection oil pump, and thus no injector activity, it can't run. Im surprised it's not a more common system, due to the safety factor built in...

/ Bad day,Lost an engine #8  
Pan is easy to pull on these engines. Both my oil plugs had been stripped so had to replace mine. Rod brgs are the first to go with no oil pressure. I think I would pull the pan and just take a look at rod brgs. Crankshaft has to be pulled to check mains.

Pan is going to have to be pulled at some point and you might have a more definite idea about your damage.

/ Bad day,Lost an engine #9  
I am very sorry to hear of your motor issues. That is one of a tractor owners worst nightmare. Good luck on your repair.

/ Bad day,Lost an engine #10  
That sucks Messmaker. I had the same thing happen to me a few years ago with a lawn tractor. I ended up putting a new motor in it. The only silver lining was that the replacement came with a warranty. It stinks when you take good care of a motor, and it meets an end like that. If it were mine, I would at least gather info on cost and feasibility of a rebuild before deciding.