CT230 electrical issue

/ CT230 electrical issue #1  

lstinthot

Silver Member
Tractor
CT230
I have a Bobcat CT230. Will not turn over with switch. I checked the fuses and the 5 amp fuse to the safety circuit was blown. I changed it, still would not start with the key. Jumpered the starter and it started and ran. Turn tractor off, try to start it again, no luck. Fuse not blown. Sometimes you can hear the pull up relay pick up sometimes not. Every once in a while I can get it to start with a jumper at the starter. Now the 5 amp fuse is blown again. Not sure what is blowing the 5 amp fuse. Might have been my with my volt meter checking voltage at the operational control unit.

Any way to test the operational control unit? I get the PTO light when I engage PTO, it goes out when I disengage the lever. I jumpered the switch for the travel pedel. I jumpered the seat swich.

No voltage at the start relay. I can use a jumper across the start relay and start it there when it wants to start.

I checked the switch in each position using a continuity check. Blue/yellow wire to red wire circuit closed with switch in start. Red wire to red/blue closed with switch in glow plug position. Red to red/white closed with switch in run.

Mike

/ CT230 electrical issue #2  
Maybe you don't have a front pto but if so is that safety switch working?

/ CT230 electrical issue
I do not have the front PTO or Mid PTO. I just pulled the jumper out that is prewired for the mid PTO and the light on the dash turns on with jumper removed, which tells me the control unit is seeing the change in state. Good thought, I had not checked that one yet. Still no go on engine start.

/ CT230 electrical issue #4  
I am convinced your electrical skills are above mine, wish I had more ideas for you. For my information, what is the "control unit" you mention and where is it located? I haven't been able to find it in my manual.

/ CT230 electrical issue #5  
Seem strange you can jump the stater and have it run, Is the seat safety switch working? How about the go peddle one and others. On mine I have become accustomed to tapping the go peddle to get it to start if I turn the key and get a no go, There are several pinch points on the wiring harness, Just follow it from the IG switch to the starter relays and on. Cold also be the relays on the firewall. There have been several posts on swamping them around to find the source.

/ CT230 electrical issue #6  
First step is to completely remove the negative battery cable, clean both ends and the connection to the frame. The do both ends of the positive cable and check for corrosion under the insulation at the battery connection. Put the negative cable back on last.

My favorite starter troubleshooting video: Starter Voltage Drop - YouTube

/ CT230 electrical issue
First step is to completely remove the negative battery cable, clean both ends and the connection to the frame. The do both ends of the positive cable and check for corrosion under the insulation at the battery connection. Put the negative cable back on last.

My favorite starter troubleshooting video: Starter Voltage Drop - YouTube

I will have to try that. I just replaced the positive terminal connector about a year ago and cleaned everything then. Connections are still tight and clean, maybe there is fouling under one of them. It is acting like a intermittent ground.

When I was researching this issue this time, I came across another thread I posted where the tractor did the same thing when I first bought it. I had forgot about it until I read the thread. At that time it only took a couple hour break then started working again. I never did find what caused the non starting that time.

/ CT230 electrical issue #8  
Have you tried spraying electronic contact cleaner into the ignition switch and then trying to start it? If that solves your problem then get a new switch and spray it with fluid film before you install it. Save the old one for tear down and clean up spare.

/ CT230 electrical issue
Have you tried spraying electronic contact cleaner into the ignition switch and then trying to start it? If that solves your problem then get a new switch and spray it with fluid film before you install it. Save the old one for tear down and clean up spare.

I have sprayed the switch with cleaner.

/ CT230 electrical issue #10  
Other than clean up all connections and maybe coat them with dielectric grease before reassembling, I got nothing.