hard starting CT235

/ hard starting CT235 #1  

xfmrdude

Tractor
Bobcat CT235
Hello all!. Was wondering if I could get a little help with a hard starting Bobcat CT235? My bobcat will roll over and roll over, it will pick up speed as it goes, lots of black smoke while it's trying to start and then finally it seems like it picks up on a few cylinders, and spits and sputters until it's running on all cylinders. Once it has run for 30 or 40 seconds it runs normal with power and no smoke. I've checked the preheaters with the resistance measurement given in the manual, and all three are ok. But I have noticed a leak in the middle cyl injector. Can't tell were it's coming from, but there is an obvious leak there. I have clean it up only to see the oil return around the injector. It doesn't appear to be spraying out, just a leak. The tractor has approximately 635 hrs and there was no paint on the head when i purchased it so I'm assuming there was issues before with the engine.
Should I start with a compression test first, or does it sound more like a fuel issue?
Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

/ hard starting CT235 #2  
No answer, just a question. Has this condition come on suddenly or over a period of time?

Seems to me if it runs normal after cranking the problem could likely be in the glow plug area. I know I have tried cranking my 235 when cold without using the glow plugs and it has the symtoms you have described. Maybe try using a voltmeter at the glowplug while engine cold and key in on position making sure you are getting voltage to the glowplugs. Does your glowplug light come on when cranking cold?

/ hard starting CT235
Thanks Winston!
It has been getting progressively worse with the colder weather. But i did notice it the first time in the fall. The glow plug light does come on when I turn the key, and then times out and I turn the key to start. I have manually run the glow plugs longer, but didn't seem to make a difference.

/ hard starting CT235 #4  
Easy thing to check voltage on the glow plugs just to eliminate that possibility

/ hard starting CT235 #5  
In my mind I would check the fuel leak issue first and foremost. If problem still persists then move forward.

/ hard starting CT235
I removed the glow plugs today and found two shorted and one working. So the glow plugs it is, but the only thing is my dealer here wants $112.00 cdn ea. Any suggestions were to buy cheaper? I'm sure even to buy from the US with the exchange, shipping and duties it must be cheaper!

/ hard starting CT235 #8  
Just curious, I can understand one of them dying young......
but two of them? seems odd to me

:confused3:

/ hard starting CT235 #9  
Wonder what the temperature runs in Marmora during usage time? Brrrr

/ hard starting CT235 #10  
I just looked at a CJ235 for sale. ~900 hours, no noticeable leaks, $11,500. Good price or not?? It seemed to start up a little rough, like knocking / coughing / white smoke for a few seconds, then after 5-10 seconds it was smooth, no smoke and sounded normal - like a diesel. Does this all sound normal for this engine at 900 hours?

Last edited: