Bobcat 463 cooling system question.

/ Bobcat 463 cooling system question. #1  

ronreece

Tractor
bobcat 463
Just bought a 463 Bobcat and stumbled onto this great forum!

I have a couple issues I'm dealing with regarding the cooling system on my 463.

Firstly, the temp gauge in the cockpit of the Bobcat is not functioning.
I've grounded out the gauge, and the needle jumps to full hot (which shows the gauge is operating properly).
Next, I grounded the wire out, that goes from the sensor located below the thermostat housing up to the gauge, and it also pegged the gauge at full hot (which shows the wire from the sending unit to the gauge is ok).
I then removed the sending unit from the motor and tested the resistance with an ohmmeter, and the reading came back within range.
So now I am at loss. Why isn't the gauge working when all the parts in the system seem to be functioning correctly?
From what I have been told, the 463 has two different types of sending units that were installed over the years. Both are installed in the same location, at the base of the thermostat housing. One has a single wire that goes directly to the gauge itself. The second type of sending unit (that is in my Bobcat), has two wires - a black wire and a white wire. I assume the white wire goes to the gauge and the other wire goes to the fan (or fan relay).

Second issue, the engine seems to be running hot. I thought it might be a bad thermostat, so I removed it and it still runs hot. The inlet side of the radiator hose - going from the thermostat up to the right side of the radiator is hot, while the left radiator hose - going down from the radiator to the water pump is cold. Also, the right side of the radiator is very hot, while the left side is cold.
I'm wondering if the radiator is maybe plugged up, or possibly the water pump isn't working properly?

Anyone have any advice or ideas? I sure would appreciate any feedback...

Thanks!

/ Bobcat 463 cooling system question. #2  
This is a tractor forum. Might not be in right place for what you need. Might have better luck in construction equipment section. Good luck.