Adjusting valves

/ Adjusting valves #1  

winston1

Tractor
Bobcat CT235
Curious as to whether any of you have adjusted your valves and if so how did you find the adjustments. The repair manual schedule shows this task at 800 hours. My CT235 has 1714 hours and I have owned it since 12?? hours having no idea what was done to it in prior history. Sort of thinking I may need to do this even though I have no reason to think they are out of adjustment. Comments?

/ Adjusting valves #2  
I've had the same question and also note that in 12 years on TBN I've never seen a discussion of valve adjustment. A quick search shows that I've missed a few discussions, about one every year or so, but that basically it just doesn't seem to be an issue. I imagine if an engine is not performing well it would be something to check but other than that why bother....

/ Adjusting valves
I've had the same question and also note that in 12 years on TBN I've never seen a discussion of valve adjustment. A quick search shows that I've missed a few discussions, about one every year or so, but that basically it just doesn't seem to be an issue. I imagine if an engine is not performing well it would be something to check but other than that why bother....

I suppose I don't know how to use the search field very well. Several years ago I could use it and find most anything, nowadays I struggle.

/ Adjusting valves #4  
I suppose I don't know how to use the search field very well. Several years ago I could use it and find most anything, nowadays I struggle.

My descent into senility is also going very smoothly.

/ Adjusting valves #5  
Purchased a Case 195 that ran fine when cold as tested at sellers yard, after getting the tractor home and working it for a bit would not restart until it cooled down.

On checking the valve clearances found that the intake was near zero clearance, after making the adjustments the tractor ran fine cold or hot.

The Kohler engine is a PITA having to remove the carburetor to make tappet adjustments.

/ Adjusting valves #6  
I've had the same question and also note that in 12 years on TBN I've
never seen a discussion of valve adjustment.

Hey, IT, do you recall on one of my JD rebuild threads I set the valve lash? Anyway, I know you
saw it, and, as I recall, that engine with maybe 2000 hrs was still nearly within spec. That was
a pleasant discovery.

I seriously doubt the rental yard I bought the tractor from ever did it. My own Kioti is nearing
700 hours, but I do not intend to check lash for quite a while.

/ Adjusting valves #7  
Well some times valve stems do wear ergo need adjustment.
I inherited a gas generator that had 0 compression.
Did a tear down and the end results were that the valve stems were worn so bad that the valves never closed.*
A simple adjustment put that gen set back to operating specs.
800 some hours simply plaid havoc on the softer stems. (better than wearing out the cam lobes)

* gen set had over 800 hrs on the tack!

/ Adjusting valves #8  
Hey, IT, do you recall on one of my JD rebuild threads I set the valve lash? Anyway, I know you
saw it, and, as I recall, that engine with maybe 2000 hrs was still nearly within spec. That was
a pleasant discovery.

I didn't remember that thread but as noted earlier, my descent into senility is going very smoothly. Did I already mention that?

/ Adjusting valves
I didn't remember that thread but as noted earlier, my descent into senility is going very smoothly. Did I already mention that?

That is interesting, mine is a little bumpy as we go along. :D

/ Adjusting valves #10  
Diesel engines do not suffer the valve face and seat erosion gasoline engines do, which is the main reason gas engines' valve clearances close up. Back-in-tha-day, when gasoline contained tetraethyl lead, the issue was not as severe, but with the advent of lead free gas, bingo. When manufacturers began using hardened valve seats and the metallurgy of the valves themselves improved, the issue lessened. I suspect the lubricating action of the diesel fuel reduces, if not eliminates the erosion