Beast Died when I sat back down - No start - no clicks either - Solution found

/ Beast Died when I sat back down - No start - no clicks either - Solution found #1  

powerscol

Veteran Member
Tractor
CT 235
OK folks a new one I have not seen here, Tractor running fine all day. Went through a gate - set parking brake - got off (tractor still running) closed gate, then climbed back on and plunked down in seat. Beast died immediately. Checked fuel fuse (25a) OK glanced at other fuses (mistake) tapped on solenoids. Horn/flashers work, Battery good, and glow plug relay clicked, but no clicks at start.

Called dealer and they suggest by-passing seat switch as I might have broken it when plunking down, Still no go. I was getting ready to swap relays when I got a gut feeling to check all the fuses.

YaHooooooo - fuse #7 (5a) was blown (could not tell unless looked at closely). this one is labeled "Operational Control Unit / Switched power relay." Replaced and with seat switch bypassed and started right up.

So if you ever have a no start with no clicking and horn works, etc, check this fuse#7 first, For now I will leave the seat switch bypassed and probably leave it that way.

/ Beast Died when I sat back down - No start - no clicks either - Solution found #2  
Thanks for telling us the problem and then the SOLUTION :thumbsup:

/ Beast Died when I sat back down - No start - no clicks either - Solution found #3  
As any good electrician and/or troubleshooter should ask, WHY did the fuse blow in the first place? Is there still an underlying cause that will rear it's ugly head again randomly? Was the blown fuse the proper size? A fuse doesn't 'just blow' unless there is an over-current condition.

Don't get me wrong... I'm glad it was an easy fix, and as said above, thanks for the full story... but keep us posted with anything further that comes to light, as it may happen again...

/ Beast Died when I sat back down - No start - no clicks either - Solution found #4  
That same fuse also supplies power to all of the neutral start/saftey switches. Failure seemed to occur when plunking down in the seat and stated it restarted with new fuse but seat switch still by-passed. Reconnect the seat switch to see if it remains running or blows fuse again. Check under the seat to see if a wire got caught/pinched in the suspension mechanism. There is an underlying reason the fuse blew.

/ Beast Died when I sat back down - No start - no clicks either - Solution found #5  
Yes, there is a cause for the fuse to blow, but I don't think I'd put tons of time in trying to track it down unless it becomes a common issue. Some vehicles, especially older cars, would have an occasional fuse repeatedly fail just from the repeated hot/cold cycles. If a circuit is loaded to the capacity of the fuse, the fuse is more prone to occasionally fail in such a manner.

The fuse is made to be the "weak link" in case something bad happens, like a short. As long as you do not install a higher-rated fuse, you have zero concerns of a fire or damaging a component. If replacing the fuse results in another blown fuse, only then would I invest much time in diagnosis.

/ Beast Died when I sat back down - No start - no clicks either - Solution found
As any good electrician and/or troubleshooter should ask, WHY did the fuse blow in the first place? Is there still an underlying cause that will rear it's ugly head again randomly? Was the blown fuse the proper size? A fuse doesn't 'just blow' unless there is an over-current condition.

Don't get me wrong... I'm glad it was an easy fix, and as said above, thanks for the full story... but keep us posted with anything further that comes to light, as it may happen again...

When I plunked down in the seat I shorted out the switch harness or switch somewhere to ground - I used my ohm meter on both lines and both show grounded. My bypass is at the second plug at the rear of the tractor. My seat is badly cracked and I remember hearing a crunch. I'm looking for a new seat and so far the only ones that fit don't have a safety switch, unless someone knows of a good one that does. I only need the seat as the suspension is good.