Starting Issues CT335

/ Starting Issues CT335 #1  

coryip

Tractor
deere 4200 hst
Hello and hopefully someone can give some advice to get this thing running again.
A few weeks ago the tractor started showing signs of something wrong. It turned over but would not start but the problem was intermittent and only happened 3 times over a 2 week period. Now it never starts regardless of how many attempts. I have replaced the relay and swapped the 2 under the hood just to double check. I have checked all connections under left floor board sprayed with contact cleaner and greased. It seems that all safety switches are doing what they should because the tractor turns over. I pulled the fuel solenoid and with ignition on the plunger will hold I can reinstall and tractor will start. I thought a possible bad solenoid so tried a new one but no luck. I have also tested the connection to solenoid and get the 1 second 11-12V when turning to ON position and the other terminal shows 11-12v constant. Is it possible I have 2 bad solenoids because it seems the tractor is doing what its supposed to do but just not engaging the solenoid. Is there a way to test the solenoid or does anyone have another suggestion.
Thanks

/ Starting Issues CT335 #2  
Might take a look at this posted by SSdoxie in another thread:

The fuel solenoid has 2 power circuits feeding it. One is a momentary high amperage input to pull the solenoid ON then shuts off, the second is a lower amp input that holds the magnet in place. Hearing 2 clicks when you turn the key on indicates to me that the fuel solenoid is not working in the Hold circuit, either the solenoid coil is failed or it is not receiving voltage on the hold circuit. The attached electrical schematic may help diagnose. Remove the solenoid from the Injection pump then try moving the rack, should be able to move the rack with little to no effort. Turn the key on and watch the solenoid, if solenoid has 3 wires to it should work without being grounded to the engine if only 2 wires you will need to ground the housing for it operate. If solenoid is not staying pulled in to ON check power in yellow wire.
ct225-ct230-ct235 electric sm 12-09.pdf

/ Starting Issues CT335 #3  
"I have also tested the connection to solenoid and get the 1 second 11-12V when turning to ON position and the other terminal shows 11-12v constant."

Based on this above the electrical system is making required connections to allow fuel flow. However, 11 - 12 volts is low if you were not cranking the engine while taking these readings. A battery just setting at rest should read 13 - 13.6 volts. A Battery with 12.5v is about 50% charge.
A low battery could allow engine to crank but not at fast enough rotation speed to start the engine. Verify the voltage readings and trouble shoot battery and cable connections if necessary then confirm if engine is receiving fuel during cranking. If fuel is present in the engine but not starting you should be seeing grayish smoke (atomized unburnt fuel) coming from the exhaust pipe.

/ Starting Issues CT335 #4  
Hello and hopefully someone can give some advice to get this thing running again.
A few weeks ago the tractor started showing signs of something wrong. It turned over but would not start but the problem was intermittent and only happened 3 times over a 2 week period. Now it never starts regardless of how many attempts. I have replaced the relay and swapped the 2 under the hood just to double check. I have checked all connections under left floor board sprayed with contact cleaner and greased. It seems that all safety switches are doing what they should because the tractor turns over. I pulled the fuel solenoid and with ignition on the plunger will hold I can reinstall and tractor will start. I thought a possible bad solenoid so tried a new one but no luck. I have also tested the connection to solenoid and get the 1 second 11-12V when turning to ON position and the other terminal shows 11-12v constant. Is it possible I have 2 bad solenoids because it seems the tractor is doing what its supposed to do but just not engaging the solenoid. Is there a way to test the solenoid or does anyone have another suggestion.
Thanks
Sticking fuel injection rack?:confused:

/ Starting Issues CT335 #5  
Are the glow plugs cycling? Check the fuse? First try turning the key to preheat (dash light should be on) wait 15 seconds that try to start. If glow plug is not coming on this may be the issue. Also check the setting on the fuel filter lever - should be in on /run position.

/ Starting Issues CT335 #6  
Curious to see what the issue was......

/ Starting Issues CT335 #7  
The OP posed this question over in Kioti forum also. He replaced fuel pull relay. Either the relay had too high resistance internally of there was a loose connection in the plug that went undetected when new relay was installed.

/ Starting Issues CT335 #8  
TY for the response!