Front axle snap ring failure

/ Front axle snap ring failure #1  

Wild and Free

Bronze Member
Tractor
Bobcat Ct 450 with 9tl loader and 7' 730 lorenz snowblower, 7' Road Boss utility grader
So I have been told by the previous owner and was reinforced by the dealer that these tractors are notorious for snap rings that break and cause front axle gear failures on the wheel final drive assembly. Does anyone know which snap ring breaks on these? I was told by the previous owner that he had a recent failure and repaired it and yesterday while doing a service on the front axle noticed that the oil flow from the final gear case on one side was a drip while it flowed freely out of the other side and bevel gear case too. Looking into the drain hole seems to be something is lower or a possible snap ring broke again causing the gear to drop ect blocking oil flow from drain hole, I can stick a small flat screw driver in the drain hole on one side but the other side is blocked. I am suspecting it to be reference #15 that fails and causes the gear to drop down and away from gear # 9 in the second pic.
I am going to pull the left side apart today to see if there is an issue before running it and trashing another gear set just to be safe, will maybe only cost me an o-ring versus the other option just to inspect for my own curiosity.

Does anyone have a link to a PDF service manual for setting the backlash on the gears since there are shims to do so so I can check if it is correct?

https://gpim-media.dibhids.net/ipc/ex45h-t565a.png

https://gpim-media.dibhids.net/ipc/ct445b-t575a.gif

Last edited:
   / Front axle snap ring failure
Haha stupid simple issue. Turns out only the lower 1/3 of the drain hole is exposed by design "but only if the snap ring is clocked correctly". Popped off the bottom cover and found the opening of the lower bearing retaining snap ring should be by the drain opening but it was about 180* off so the snap ring was plugging off the drain opening. Turned the snap ring to that spot and issue resolved. Hope this will help someone in their future ��

Last edited:
A shot of the bottom bearing cover and snap ring that hold it in, basically a rubber coated push in cap that easily prys out as there are two slots to get a narrow tipped screw driver in to pry it out.
A1F1BD98-C287-4301-8BFD-F3EABEB85F05.jpeg
A shot of the rear of the housing and drain plug location.
7547FCB1-DDA5-4E1E-99E8-AEA24254DA6E.jpeg
I have reclocked the bearing retaining snapring so the drain hole opening is in between the open ends of the snap ring you can see in the snap ring groove at the 3 o clock position if you zoom in on the pic.
93CA1854-F675-4DD5-9D71-1D775B73CE95.jpeg
Another shot of the small drain hole opening inside the snap ring groove about 3 o clock position once I clocked it so it was open.
396AE94A-7A67-4887-AA4B-C31C4503E5F0.jpeg

Last edited:
   / Front axle snap ring failure #4  
I have not heard about much snap ring failure, but I sure have heard of the obstructed drain hole. Mine has the problem on the right side. From what I understand, many do.

Duplicate post please delete.

Last edited:
Duplicate please delete.

Last edited:
It is a very easy fix. The first pic shows the lower housing bearing access plug that is held in place with a snap ring. pop the ring out and the plug is rubber coated and there are a couple slots in the housing to get a small pry bar or screw driver in and it easily pops out to gain access to the snap ring that needs to be adjusted. About a half hour job start to finish.

If you zoom in on the last two pics you can see the drain hole opening in the snap ring groove in the housng which is covered if the snap ring gap isn't in this position. It sat all night and there was about half a quart of oil that still had not drained when I popped the lower cap off.

/ Front axle snap ring failure #8  
Cool, I think I got it. thanks for the photos.