CT235 blew out hydraulics trying to operate at ~0ーF, ok to leave sit for a bit?

/ CT235 blew out hydraulics trying to operate at ~0ーF, ok to leave sit for a bit? #1  

jcims

Gold Member
(sorry for the title, tried to get fancy with the degree sign, that's what i get)

Hey folks,

Tried running the CT235 yesterday after it sat for a few weeks in this little cold snap. The tractor started right up, I let it idle for 10-15 mins while I was working on some other stuff. I went to lift the grapple and it didn't do anything. I then tried to move it forward, and it strained for a half second then the toggle went to the floor and from that point forward no hydraulic power.

I stopped it, looked below and saw hydraulic fluid streaming down from around the filter.

I was in a rush so I haven't investigated any further, I'm just wondering if I need to send it to the shop right away or if it's OK to leave like that for a month or two. Understood you have no idea what actually happened with the above, but still covet your thoughts on the matter.

Thanks in advance.

/ CT235 blew out hydraulics trying to operate at ~0ーF, ok to leave sit for a bit? #2  
Wow. Sorry to hear this. I’m not sure as to what happened but as I see it the damage is already done so I don’t see why It could not sit. However I don’t think I could leave it. It would consume my thoughts.
In fact I’m already bummed that if you don’t get it fixed now I won’t find out what the problem was. .
Please keep us posted please and good luck.

/ CT235 blew out hydraulics trying to operate at ~0ーF, ok to leave sit for a bit? #3  
I would suspect water in the fluid that froze.

/ CT235 blew out hydraulics trying to operate at ~0ーF, ok to leave sit for a bit? #4  
I would suspect water in the fluid that froze.
and that possibly before a pressure relief device resulting (hopefully) in a burst hose of fitting.
Might not be all that bad and even a relatively simple fix,

/ CT235 blew out hydraulics trying to operate at ~0ーF, ok to leave sit for a bit?
Thanks for the replies folks. I'm going to take a look at later this week when things warm up and will let you know what happened.

/ CT235 blew out hydraulics trying to operate at ~0ーF, ok to leave sit for a bit? #6  
Pull the filters and cut them open to inspect the canister and media for metalic or other debris and also pull all the hyd drain plugs and look for the same, just drop enough oil out into a clean container to see if anything abnormal like water ice or chunks or excess metal is present, no need to drop anymore than a cup or two from each. May have just sheered the hyd pump input gear or shaft or something simple. May have just failed the hyd pump itself ect. Start with simple checks first.

/ CT235 blew out hydraulics trying to operate at ~0ーF, ok to leave sit for a bit?
Welp, pulled the filter and found the problem. The o-ring on the filter got blown out of place. Tucked it back into position, put the filter back on and no leaks.

Will still check drain plugs and whatnot for water/debris, but I topped off the fluid and it's back up and running. Thanks folks!!!