Brake pedal return spring

/ Brake pedal return spring #1  

Grand_Pooba

Silver Member
Tractor
Bobcat CT230 & John Deere X324
My brake pedal is not returning to it's proper position on my CT230. I have to reach down and pull up on the pedal to release the brakes each time. The service manual mentions a "brake pedal return spring" but doesn't show it in any of the diagrams. Anybody know where it's located?

Thanks.

/ Brake pedal return spring #2  
Mine is the same. Follow the linkage all the way to the transaxle. On mine, the sticking is way back inside the transaxle. Haven't dug in to fix it yet.
On mine one side was much worse than the other. And it got so bad, I needed a hammer to free it. So, I disconnected one of the brakes. Now I only have 1, but have to lift the pedal to release it fully. Luckily it's not that hilly. I planned on fixing it much sooner, but haven't done it.

/ Brake pedal return spring #3  
There are return springs up under the instrument panel. Instrument panel has to be removed to access them. Assuming you have been greasing your pivot points on your pedals? I am doubting your springs are loose or broken, would more likely be something corroding up.

/ Brake pedal return spring #4  
I値l jump in as my left brake started hanging up. Noticed it right after I completed my 400 hour service. I have isolated the return spring under the dash and that is not where the problem is. I知 going to crack open the service manual tonight and see if I can find anything.

/ Brake pedal return spring #5  
Looking at the service book and do not see anything internal in the brake case that would be involved in the return. I also only see one lube point in the linkage, which I have already greased. Think I will pull it back inside and take a closer look at the whole linkage (read disassemble) and see if that痴 where the hang up is.

/ Brake pedal return spring
The service manual that I have (Kioti version) doesn't show the springs but I went onto the Bobcat parts website and found a better diagram that showed the springs. I'll try to find them tonight. My brake pedal moves freely right except right at the bottom when you are applying brake pressure. That's where they stick.

/ Brake pedal return spring #7  
I知 afraid this is a bigger issue. My springs are fine and the pedal moves freely when the linkage is dropped.

My issue is only on the left. I pulled the push linkage off the levers on both sides. The right has several inches of free play by hand. The left cannot be moved at all without a mallot. I loosened the nut on top of the lever to see if it was just binding there, but no luck.

There has to be something in the brake housing causing the stiff action. Unfortunately it is a much bigger job to check that out. Remove the ROPS, drain the hydro fluid (that I just put in), pull the axle housing and then the brake housing.

Has anyone out there gone all the way in? The service manual has really good pics of the whole thing and I don稚 see where it would bind except maybe one or more of the balls is dislodged? Doesn稚 seem possible. They are wet brakes so it should not be a lube issue.

/ Brake pedal return spring #8  
That's the exact problem I have. Need a massive hammer to free it up, so I just disconnected that side. Haven't had the balls to dig in yet.

/ Brake pedal return spring #9  
Have not been there, done that. Repair manual states 4 keys to correct "Braking power is trailed" (thinking that is big words for what you are experiencing).

1. Brake pedal clearance is to small. (Doubt that one.)
2. Cam plate balls are worn unequally.
3. Brake pedal return spring is worn or broken. (Seems you have eliminated that.)
4. Brake cam is corroded. (Shame you can't get to that without complete disassembly.)

Doesn't seem to complicated to get in there but no doubt would be considerable work. Seems most logical to me to be a corroded brake cam. O-ring on the outside of it so impossible to lubricate it.

/ Brake pedal return spring #10  
I kinda wondered what they meant by "trailed". Probably right. I hadn't read that list very carefully, but it mentions the balls which had crossed my mind already. I may just need to bite the bullet and tear into it. Like Winston1 said, it looks simple but will take some real time. As long as I keep the hydro oil clean as I get it out, does anyone have an issue with re-using it? It has all of 20 minutes use right now.

Is there any way that I could have brought this issue out during the service I just finished? I can't really imagine how, but I had not noticed any issue prior. The hydro sump was on the low side of the stick before I started but not out of oil and I did the whole job in one shot so nothing sat dry. Aggravating.