1900's horse drawn hay rake help!!

/ 1900's horse drawn hay rake help!! #1  

BobcatTR

Silver Member
Tractor
Bobcat CT225
I took an old horse drawn hay rake and mounted it to clamp on to my front bucket.
Have to rake in reverse, no problem.
But I've broken 3 tines.
Anyone know if they still make them?
It works great, but hay goes thru spaces where tines broke.
Thanks for your help.
Terry

/ 1900's horse drawn hay rake help!! #2  
What a combo. LOL I have used probably the same type of rake. I would be surprised if you could find them new and depending on where they are broken you may can have them welded. I would look for a metal worker in your area for they are simple design with a single coil of spring in them. Well the ones on the hay rake we had were. Probably would require redesigned mounting but look for another spring tooth used on landscape rake (probably too short) or a tedder or even rotary rake. Sure would like to see pictures of your rake.

/ 1900's horse drawn hay rake help!!
Here it is! 20180526_085225.jpg20180526_085214.jpg

/ 1900's horse drawn hay rake help!! #4  
picture just what I was thinking, I have googled quite a bit and find no replacement tines. I do find there are numerous old rakes for sale but come at pretty high prices.

picture just what I was thinking, I have googled quite a bit and find no replacement tines. I do find there are numerous old rakes for sale but come at pretty high prices.
Thanks winston1!
That's all I've come up with.
I did find a time in the field.
I'll weld it.
Still 3 short.
It sure works good!
I'm only doing 2 acres or so.
Completely filled up my hay feeder.
It's 10×10× 8' tall. Packed full.
Hopefully I 'll get 2 more cuttings.
I'll keep an eye out for another rake. Got this one for eighty 8 yrs ago.
If you see tines let me know please.
Thanks a lot!
Terry

/ 1900's horse drawn hay rake help!! #6  
Why not take outer tines off to fill in the gaps. Rake would a little narrower but still work. Those were never made for down pressure so be sure to use in float.

Why not take outer tines off to fill in the gaps. Rake would a little narrower but still work. Those were never made for down pressure so be sure to use in float.
That's exactly what I figured to do.
And I thought about the float!
You just verified it for me.
Thanks very much for your input!
Really helps!
Terry
Next cutting should be around the 4th of july.

/ 1900's horse drawn hay rake help!! #9  
I'm wondering, even with it in float, if that isn't too much load on the rake tines. The dump rakes normally have a wheel on each end to carry the tines and let them barely touch the ground.
I'm assuming you removed the end wheels but that may not be the case.
Also, the pitch angle of the teeth is important. Too much pitch and the points will probably tend to dig in causing the tine to break.

I'm wondering, even with it in float, if that isn't too much load on the rake tines. The dump rakes normally have a wheel on each end to carry the tines and let them barely touch the ground.
I'm assuming you removed the end wheels but that may not be the case.
Also, the pitch angle of the teeth is important. Too much pitch and the points will probably tend to dig in causing the tine to break.
Yea, that's what broke the tines digging in.
The pasture is a roller coaster. Not real flat.
No wheels. Purchased just the tine frame.
That's makes sense how it worked.
I had no idea! Guess I should watch u-tube!
And as old as they are, continued breaking is a probability, if I keep running it like I am.
Sure seams like different steel. Maybe it isn't and just seams that way.
Some of my welds broke, so I bolted it together.