CT 225 no start

/ CT 225 no start #1  

nap61

Silver Member
I am not sure which forum is the best, so I double posted - sorry for any confusion.
I have a CT 225 BobCat tractor (same as Kioti???). It is 9 years old and only lightly used. I was moving some fallen branches and made several trips to the burn pile. I stopped tractor to load the loader and when I tried to re-start the engine, I got nothing - no gauges, no clicks, no lights. I tried it several times and it clicked then nothing again. The battery is almost new, but I took it out and had an auto parts place check it. It tested good with a high charge.
I can only think that it is the starter or key switch. I don't know how to check these parts.
Any suggestions or other possibilities. Any help is appreciated.

Norm

/ CT 225 no start #2  
Norm.. more than likely you still have it in gear.. wiggle the shifters around while keeping the key turned in the start position..
You'll probably find it that way.. good luck

/ CT 225 no start #3  
Pop the hood. Wiggle a wire, try it, wiggle another, try it, etc. That might help you find the bad connection, if there is one. Mine does this sometimes.
Try shooting some wd40 in the key switch hole too.
Beyond that, you may need to use a multimeter.

/ CT 225 no start #4  
I suspect you have a leaf caught in the contact safety switch under the hydro pedal. it happens to me once a year. Hydro selector could be in between gears or the PTO could have been accidentally kicked on. I would next look to the safety switch on the seat. Unplug and jump the contacts to bypass.

/ CT 225 no start #5  
If you haven’t done so yet, I would check all the fuses. Also remove and reseat the relays on the firewall to make sure they are making good contact. Remove, clean and retighten all grounds. Several Kioti owners have had problems with bad battery cables. The cable looks fine on the outside, but is completely oxidized in the inside.
Even with an open safety switch you should still get dash lights just no start.
Please keep us up to date with any progress or new observations.

/ CT 225 no start #6  
My "Guess" would defective battery cables/connections. The battery cables are a constant failure because they get battery fumes sucked into the inside wire. Give a big yank on each end of each battery cable and see what happens. If it comes off in your hand, that would be a clue. Otherwise get a volt meter and start troubleshooting. Come back here if you don't know how.

Basically you start on the battery terminals and measure voltage moving out to the battery clamps and moving down to the other end of the battery cables. You didn't mention what happens to dash lights and emergency flashers when you attempt to start the tractor. What happens to headlight when you attempt to start the tractor. The VAST majority of these faults are bad battery cables or connections. Starters are so far down the list as to be inconsequential. Starters are RARELY the reason a tractor won't crank. Nearly never. LOOK at the lights. What happens?

/ CT 225 no start #7  
While key switches have and can be a fault, expecially on a Kioti/Bobcat, they are MUCH rarer than battery cables. Fuses have and can be at fault, but much rarer than battery cables. Batteries can and have been at fault, but MUCH rarer than battery cables.. Do you understand I am telling you the number one reason the Kioti/Bobcat doesn't crank is faulty battery cables. YOU can confirm that for me by telling me what happens to the lights.

/ CT 225 no start #8  
They use the cheapest looking battery terminal I have ever seen. I can't believe they cheap-out on such an important part.

/ CT 225 no start
First - thanks for the replies.
I just started to check the problem (no start, no lights, no gauges). After I replaced the battery, I checked the cables. The positive cable was almost new and it was clean and connections were tight. The negative cable was a problem. It was clean and tight at the battery but I couldn't find where it was attached to the chassis. If anyone has a manual, please let me know the location.
I haven't tried the other suggestions yet. It was 93*+ and the tractor is out in the open. I will try some more tomorrow.
Thanks again.
Norm

/ CT 225 no start #10  
The negative cable connects to the right side of the frame right under the battery compartment. Easy access, just follow the cable through the battery compartment.