Bolens G174

/ Bolens G174 #1  

tundraman01

I have a Bolens G174. It's new to me. I'm currently looking for a manual so I can take care of simple things like this: I have used it a few times and it's worked fine. Today I was rototilling a rough field. I bounced over a few rocks. Now the three point hitch won't lift. I was wondering about hydraulic fluid. Where uis the reervoir? I looked under the seat, the top of the gear box has a plastic filler cap. I can't see any fluid in there. The side is marked 80 weight gear oil, so I assume that goes in there. How high should it be filled? Does this also operate the three point hitch or is there a hydraulic fluid reervoir?

/ Bolens G174 #2  
There should be no problems with plenty of bouncing.

There is a check plug on the side of the transmission to check the transmission oil level.

The hydraulic oil is checked and filled at the filler hole under the seat. So there is a separate reservoir for hydraulic oil.

/ Bolens G174
I found the transmission dip stick on the next level down from the filler hole under the seat. So is the filler hole under the seat for hydraulic oil, not gear oil? Looking at the schematic under the hood; it looks like they are the same resevoir.

/ Bolens G174 #4  
I base my answer on the G194 - TS1910 and TS1610. I would think the G174 is the same as these two for this. I would be surprised if the G174 uses 80W or 90W oil to power the three pt lift. The 3pt on these other two models run from Hydraulic oil that is filled and checked at the filler under the seat.

/ Bolens G174 #5  
From other forums perhaps some of these smaller tractors do use the same fluid for the 3pt and lubrication.

Yahoo! Groups

So this would not be the same as my TS-1610.

/ Bolens G174 #6  
I Hace the bolensG 174 / Iseki Tx 1500F Manual and it says the same
tranny gear oil SAE 80
front gear and bevel case 80 or 90 SAE
I'm anewbe but have the service and repair manual
hope this helps

/ Bolens G174 #8  
I also have a G174 Bolens but I just put in hydraulic 32 fluid. Unless you do a lot of work with the tractor for hours at a time in hot weather
I would not use gear oil. If you did you would have to take it out in the cold weather because the pump may not handle the extra weight.
Owen. owen.nb@mail.com