Bolens G274 working great - then dead in the water - really need some advice.

/ Bolens G274 working great - then dead in the water - really need some advice. #1  

jerrynewt

First time on the forum so here goes nothin'
I bought a Bolens G274 from my ex father in law bout two years ago (actually got the one running and a spare with no wheels or seat for $3500 - no kidding) and can't believe what a hoss this thing is!! I haven't found anything this monster won't do, including pulling stumps! Anyway about three months ago I was cutting down a tree and had the tractor tied to it. I backed up to put some tension on the chain going to the tree and locked the brakes. After cutting through most of the trunk, I got back on the tractor and was going to back up and pull the tree on over, but it wouldn't move. I released the brakes and when I pushed in the clutch all felt normal. I felt it go into gear just fine but when I let out on the clutch, no movement, just a rattling sound from around the transmission area. Up until then I had no problems with the tractor at all, it shifted great and no noise at all. I know this is a bit long winded but any ideas would be really appreciated. Don't think I can bear to part with it. Also would like to find a parts and repair manual for it if possible. Thanks for you patience and help.

/ Bolens G274 working great - then dead in the water - really need some advice. #2  
I'm assuming no gears & no pto.My first thought was center broke out of clutch disk. A rattling noise sounds more like the splines are stripped on the input shaft. I can supply you with parts & manuals.

/ Bolens G274 working great - then dead in the water - really need some advice. #3  
At the risk of being too elementary, let me suggest you check that the range shifter is not "between gears" I have been fooled by this many times on my Mitsubishi where in dismounting the tractor I have unknowlingly kicked the Hi-Lo out of gear.

/ Bolens G274 working great - then dead in the water - really need some advice. #4  
Come on jrprocat, that's just too easy :D

/ Bolens G274 working great - then dead in the water - really need some advice.
I never thought of trying the pto. I will give it a shot tomorrow. Also I have tried the range shifter over and over again, still just noise from the bottom of the tractor. I'll be getting back in touch with you lens12 for the parts and manuals. Need to check and see if the spare tractor has a good clutch or not. Thanks for the replies guys.

/ Bolens G274 working great - then dead in the water - really need some advice. #6  
JerryNewt,
What did you finally find out was wrong with your tractor?
jim

/ Bolens G274 working great - then dead in the water - really need some advice. #7  
I am new to a Bolens G174 which was also working great. Was mowing my lawn and stopped to move some stuff out of the way, started back up and no go. Exact same problem with slight rattling. Hydraulics work fine but I can't get 2 wheel/4 wheel drive or PTO to engage.

This sounds exactly the same as the problem described here. How was it resolved? Has anyone else ever seen this?