Bolens PTO Blows Fuse

/ Bolens PTO Blows Fuse #1  

redwood09

Looking for some assistance as to why my Bolens 5120H keeps blowing the fuse when the PTO is engaged. I realize a short might seem like the obvious but can someone give me some direction with some of the not so obvious.

/ Bolens PTO Blows Fuse #2  
Is this for a front pto/belt driven implement?

are you using the correct size and speed of fuse?

if so.. it likely uses some sort of a clutch like an ac comp does. Look at the wireing and see if there is a relay controlling the electric clutch.. if so, detemine if the fuse blowing is inthe line from the switch controlling the relay field coil.. or in the power line .. ie.. is the fuse inthe control or the work line.

if there is no relay, and the switch merely runs straight to the clutch to power it, try sliping the belt off and spinning by hand then engaging hte switch to see if it immediatly smokes the fuse or if it locks up.

I'f it's in the control line.. unhook the wire to the solenoid and use a jumper wire with a fuse inline and see if it blows.. if not.. you have bad wireing in your switch line.

If it s a power line fuse, adn blows any time thrown.. I'd say the clutch field is chaffed and touching ground... time for R&R.

post back more info.

soundguy

/ Bolens PTO Blows Fuse
PTO is shaft driven,Bolens GT 2000. Regardless of whether it is hooked up to implement or not it blows immediately upon hitting the electric pto switch. Even tried the manufacturers turning it on and off several times as it has sat for a while with an oil leak. Had the problem before and pulled the motor to fix the oil leak. it went away and now that the mower unit is hooked back up the fuse is blowing again. I am beginning to think definitely a short some where related with the mower deck. didn't do it with the snow blower hooked up.