Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: bolens 1600 hydro ????

Bump........

Got it (16 hp briggs I/C twin) all back together and it's running strong but I have one problem....

No matter what once the oil thins out after a wile oil starts to spit oil out the breather tube on the left. I thought it was a faulty breather so I replaced that with a known good one (and made sure the drain hole in the case was clear) and still the same problem

The machine is so nice and this problem has me scratching my head. Any help would be appreciated.

Tractor
    Kubota Grand L 3240HST

Sounds like bad compression rings and blowby causing pressure in the crankcase which pushes oil out the breather.
    Kubota L3240HST, LA724 FEL, 72" bucket, snow plow, Loader Buddy, Bradco Pallet Forks, Stoll 4in1, EA Grapple, Leinbach 72" pine straw rake, GroundWorks brush forks and Kubota L series ballast box.
    ---------------------------
    Ferris Evolution 52" ZTR
    --------------------------
    Stihl stuff

Gold Member
    Tractor
    Two Gravely Two L One with 10 h.p Dek-Diesel engine one Grillo 107d and one BCS 735 diesel

Hi! For oil from breather. When we put new rings set WE MUST Hone cylinder with stones tool for best rings fit . I think your engine exhaust or make pressure in oil pan. May be rings will fit better with time. Good luck ! Oldmech

Guys,
    I brought this block to the machine shop and had them bore and hone it .020 over, new valves and guides (they adjusted the valves). So it has new pistons and rings in it now....thats why it's bothering the **** out of me because the problem I'm having is indicative of bad rings.

A couple of people told me that maybe I had to seat the rings (break it in some) and it would clear up. I Ran it today for a wile and just worked it and it seems to be getting better to my surprise. I've built a lot of engines and never had one that was this hard to berak-in if that's indeed what it is. Has anybody here ever had this problem and it cleared up after a couple of tanks of gas??

Kevin

Tractor
    Massey Ferguson 1215, Toro 266-H, Pennsylvania Panzer, Case 444, Craftsman 14/6

Quote Originally Posted by sawz all View Post
    Anybody ever use a bolens 1600 with a snow blower attachment? I have a chance to get either a plow or a snow thrower attachment.....can't afford both. Any info would be nice.
    Thanks,

Kevin
    Go with the blower.

The plow may be easier the first snowfall, but by the time the season is over you'll appreciate the blower more.
    From now on I will only buy cars that are a silver/grey color. Then I can make all body repairs with Duct Tape.

Follow-up,

I figured out the problem (with the help of some friends) with the blowing oil out the breather tubes....someone had installed the wrong spring on the carb linkage at some point and I just assumed it was correct and put it all back together the same way. So I was over reving it! I haven't had a problem since I've tamed it down.

Kevin

I ended up getting the single stage snow thrower. Works very well in both heavy and light snow. I'll try and get a video next time it snows.

Kevin

Tractor
    Deere 316 (Kohler) Deere 316 (Onan) Deere 210

Glad to hear it is working well for you. Since you are in deep snow country, the blower was probably the best choice. If you get a lot of snow, you soon run out of places to push it if using a plow.
    If it's free, it's for me!!!!!

Tractor
    Case 646

Quote Originally Posted by sawz all View Post
    Follow-up,

I figured out the problem (with the help of some friends) with the blowing oil out the breather tubes....someone had installed the wrong spring on the carb linkage at some point and I just assumed it was correct and put it all back together the same way. So I was over reving it! I haven't had a problem since I've tamed it down.

Kevin
    Glad you got it fixed. I was wondering if you put the .010 pistons in .020 bores as previously mentioned.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast