bolens 1600 hydro ????

/ bolens 1600 hydro ????
Bump........

/ bolens 1600 hydro ????
Got it (16 hp briggs I/C twin) all back together and it's running strong but I have one problem....

No matter what once the oil thins out after a wile oil starts to spit oil out the breather tube on the left. I thought it was a faulty breather so I replaced that with a known good one (and made sure the drain hole in the case was clear) and still the same problem

The machine is so nice and this problem has me scratching my head. Any help would be appreciated.

/ bolens 1600 hydro ???? #13  
Sounds like bad compression rings and blowby causing pressure in the crankcase which pushes oil out the breather.

/ bolens 1600 hydro ???? #14  
Hi! For oil from breather. When we put new rings set WE MUST Hone cylinder with stones tool for best rings fit . I think your engine exhaust or make pressure in oil pan. May be rings will fit better with time. Good luck ! Oldmech

/ bolens 1600 hydro ????
Guys,
I brought this block to the machine shop and had them bore and hone it .020 over, new valves and guides (they adjusted the valves). So it has new pistons and rings in it now....thats why it's bothering the **** out of me because the problem I'm having is indicative of bad rings.

A couple of people told me that maybe I had to seat the rings (break it in some) and it would clear up. I Ran it today for a wile and just worked it and it seems to be getting better :) to my surprise. I've built a lot of engines and never had one that was this hard to berak-in if that's indeed what it is. Has anybody here ever had this problem and it cleared up after a couple of tanks of gas??

Kevin

/ bolens 1600 hydro ???? #16  
Anybody ever use a bolens 1600 with a snow blower attachment? I have a chance to get either a plow or a snow thrower attachment.....can't afford both. Any info would be nice.
Thanks,

Kevin

Go with the blower.

The plow may be easier the first snowfall, but by the time the season is over you'll appreciate the blower more.

/ bolens 1600 hydro ????
Follow-up,

I figured out the problem (with the help of some friends:)) with the blowing oil out the breather tubes....someone had installed the wrong spring on the carb linkage at some point and I just assumed it was correct and put it all back together the same way. So I was over reving it! I haven't had a problem since I've tamed it down.

Kevin

/ bolens 1600 hydro ????
I ended up getting the single stage snow thrower. Works very well in both heavy and light snow:). I'll try and get a video next time it snows.

Kevin

/ bolens 1600 hydro ???? #19  
Glad to hear it is working well for you. Since you are in deep snow country, the blower was probably the best choice. If you get a lot of snow, you soon run out of places to push it if using a plow.

/ bolens 1600 hydro ???? #20  
Follow-up,

I figured out the problem (with the help of some friends:)) with the blowing oil out the breather tubes....someone had installed the wrong spring on the carb linkage at some point and I just assumed it was correct and put it all back together the same way. So I was over reving it! I haven't had a problem since I've tamed it down.

Kevin

Glad you got it fixed. I was wondering if you put the .010 pistons in .020 bores as previously mentioned.