bolens 1600 hydro ????

/ bolens 1600 hydro ???? #1  

sawz all

I was given a bolens 1600 hydro today. The engine runs but it's blowing smoke....it must have got hot at some point. I drove it a mile home and all seemed to work well though.

This tractor is new to me and I was curious how much towing I could do with it? I.E. hauling a small trailor around the yard full of wood, my log splitter and up hills and such. It's a hydro drive and I've never owned one so I don't know how durable it is.

Kevin

/ bolens 1600 hydro ????
Thinking on doing a rebuild on this 16 hp briggs twin in detail with pictures...

Would anybody be interested?

I've never done one before, would people be willing to give advice/point me in the right direction along the way?

Is this tractor worth it....judging by my first post?

Kevin

Attachments

• bo.jpg
    bo.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 1,133
  • bo1.jpg
    bo1.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 651
  • bo2.jpg
    bo2.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 504
  • bo3.jpg
    bo3.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 747
   / bolens 1600 hydro ????
Anybody have an IPL or a breakdown of a 16hp 656cc briggs eng?

/ bolens 1600 hydro ???? #4  
My advice would be to go to the Briggs and Stratton website armed with Your numbers off the motor, You can download most manuals for the engines and parts breakdown as well. The repair manuals will cost You.

There should be a metal plate on the engine itself with the model, type etc.

/ bolens 1600 hydro ???? #5  
The engine should be no problem if you have to rebuild it. But what do you do if you've rebuilt the engine and the hydro pukes? Will it be repairable or affordable to repair? I got a 16 hp Wheel Horse free one time. The hydro went out on it and it was going to cost over $2,500 to fix it. I let it go.

/ bolens 1600 hydro ????
I pulled it all apart and found one of the exhaust seats loose. That's the main reason it had no power. Good news is, I brought the block to my local machine shop and they can fix it with an oversized seat. Also, I got an eng kit with .010 over pistons.

oliver28472..... I know what you mean but I just have to make the old girl run again. I get into things and cant let go.

Kevin

/ bolens 1600 hydro ????
This is a picture of the exhaust.

Kevin

Attachments

• bo8.jpg
    bo8.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 1,164
   / bolens 1600 hydro ???? #8  
I don't know much about Bolens machines, but that one looks like it is probably worth fixing up. The rough rule of thumb is a tractor can safely tow it's own weight. In actuality, they can usually tow more, it's the "stopping" that gets dangerous. Example: 2000 pounds rolling behind a 500 pound machine and you try to stop suddenly, especially if you are going downhill even slightly, add in some moisture on the grass, and you have an accident in the making.

/ bolens 1600 hydro ????
Machine shop called me and are going to install two new exhaust seats, new valves, bore it .020 over, and give it back to me to assemble then I can take it back over and they will adjust the valve hight.

I think this is going to be a nice machine when all's said and done :).

Kevin

/ bolens 1600 hydro ????
Anybody ever use a bolens 1600 with a snow blower attachment? I have a chance to get either a plow or a snow thrower attachment.....can't afford both. Any info would be nice.
Thanks,

Kevin