Ford 1100 13 hp vs Bolens 17 hp

/ Ford 1100 13 hp vs Bolens 17 hp #1  

mgsolakis

Tractor
Case 446
I am looking at getting a garden tractor that I can use mainly for snow removal. I was hoping to get advice from people with experience. I was looking at a Bolens 17 HP tractor with a plow and blower. Then I saw an older Ford 1100 13 HP Diesel engine. The Ford looks bigger but has less HP. Does the fact that it's diesel make a big difference or does the Bolens simply pack more puch in a smaller package. Any help would be great.

/ Ford 1100 13 hp vs Bolens 17 hp #2  
I am looking at getting a garden tractor that I can use mainly for snow removal. I was hoping to get advice from people with experience. I was looking at a Bolens 17 HP tractor with a plow and blower. Then I saw an older Ford 1100 13 HP Diesel engine. The Ford looks bigger but has less HP. Does the fact that it's diesel make a big difference or does the Bolens simply pack more puch in a smaller package. Any help would be great.
Sure does.

/ Ford 1100 13 hp vs Bolens 17 hp
So the fact that it's Diesel makes a big difference in terms of power, despite the fact that it might have a lower HP rating than a gas tractor.

/ Ford 1100 13 hp vs Bolens 17 hp #4  
mgsolakis

Don't take this axiom too far, but generally speaking, horse power is not even in the top three things to consider in a tractor. For decades, we worked our farms, plowed our long driveways out of deep snow, and did everything you can imagine with tractors such as Massey Harris Pony (11-13 hp), Ford 2N and 9N's (20 hp), little Farmalls and the like.

A tractor has grunt, torque, which is more important than sheer horsepower. Note the local lawn tractors in front of your average big box stores, all pumped up with silly HP ratings, 26 hp-28 hp, yet they are just lawn mowers, not really tractors.

A tractor must have TRACTION. It is what a TRACTor is. This comes from weight, torque, gearing, tires and the total package.

Buy what you want, but base it on lots of advice from real users. I wouldn't pay any attention to the hp rating, frankly.

and YES!!! A diesel will out torque a similar sized gas engine, drag it around the yard, and slap it up side the head!! ;) all on less fuel/hour usage.

/ Ford 1100 13 hp vs Bolens 17 hp #5  
mgsolakis

Don't take this axiom too far, but generally speaking, horse power is not even in the top three things to consider in a tractor. For decades, we worked our farms, plowed our long driveways out of deep snow, and did everything you can imagine with tractors such as Massey Harris Pony (11-13 hp), Ford 2N and 9N's (20 hp), little Farmalls and the like.

A tractor has grunt, torque, which is more important than sheer horsepower. Note the local lawn tractors in front of your average big box stores, all pumped up with silly HP ratings, 26 hp-28 hp, yet they are just lawn mowers, not really tractors.

A tractor must have TRACTION. It is what a TRACTor is. This comes from weight, torque, gearing, tires and the total package.

Buy what you want, but base it on lots of advice from real users. I wouldn't pay any attention to the hp rating, frankly.

and YES!!! A diesel will out torque a similar sized gas engine, drag it around the yard, and slap it up side the head!! ;) all on less fuel/hour usage.

Everything this guys said! Just a example here but my 28 HP tractor pulled out shrubs that a 300 HP 4x4 truck could not. My tractor with the Bush Hog on the back weighs 5,200#, about the same as the truck. It all came down to the tires first and foremost, the gearing, and the diesel torque.

Chris

/ Ford 1100 13 hp vs Bolens 17 hp #6  
So right, Chris.

HP is too often "rated" at a very high RPM. Spin up a motor and peg the "peak" HP, slap a hp rating on something and market it.

Silliness. You want/need power in the lower range of the rpm, not some arbitrary, high rpm point. So, back to the OP's choice. Both are fine machines with popular followings and large clubs that support them, I believe.

Still, got to figure that the Blue Script 1100, being bigger, heavier and possessing a diesel, might just drag that Bolens around, I don't know.

Not sure these two machines are really a fair comparison to each other. Yet, the Bolens has some nifty attachments. Look again. Look some more.

/ Ford 1100 13 hp vs Bolens 17 hp #7  
mgsolakis
*Don't take this axiom too far, but generally speaking, horse power is not even in the top three things to consider in a tractor.A tractor has grunt, torque, which is more important than sheer horsepower.
1*Note the local lawn tractors in front of your average big box stores, all pumped up with silly HP ratings, 26 hp-28 hp, yet they are just lawn mowers, not really tractors.
2*A tractor must have TRACTION. It is what a TRACTor is. This comes from weight, torque, gearing, tires and the total package.
3*and YES!!! A diesel will out torque a similar sized gas engine, drag it around the yard, and slap it up side the head!! ;) all on less fuel/hour usage.
*Exactly.
1*But they can't handle all that power so you gain nothing.
2*That's why a tractor should have AG tires.
3*well put.

/ Ford 1100 13 hp vs Bolens 17 hp #8  
mgsolakis,

Just be aware that those Fords 1100 thru ? were 2 cylinder Shubaura diesels. They were fine, except that when they began to bog, you typically had to clutch them, wait a second for the r's to pick up, and then go again.

Kinda the nature of 2 cylinder machines. Eventually, Ford/NH went to a more cylinders. Anyhow, just so you know. Also NH is mighty proud of their parts. Expect the pay handsomely for them. Not alot of after market availability. Don't let all this scare you off a Ford/NH of this era, just sayin'.

/ Ford 1100 13 hp vs Bolens 17 hp
Thanks for your comments, I will continue my research with some additional information now. I would like to find something to plow or snowblow my driveway out as well as perform tasks such as moving my boat around at the cottage etc. Again thanks a lot.

/ Ford 1100 13 hp vs Bolens 17 hp #10  
I still miss my old Ford 1100 on occassion. It is not a simple rider/mower. Parts at this point could become problematic. Jay