bolens iseki G274 PTO Issue

/ bolens iseki G274 PTO Issue #1  

dave2nh

late 80's G274. I cannot get the PTO to spin. I can feel it lock in/go into neutral with the side lever, but I don't believe the solenoid that diverts the hydraulic fluid to the clutch is working. The wiring all the way down to the solenoid seems fine. 12 volts, Key on, switch on. The Solenoid pulls 1.9 amps. Does anyone know if I should hear the solenoid click? If I remove the solenoid from the flow valve will it be pressurized other than the spring and residual fluid? Any other ideas on things to check? Maybe the solenoid makes no noise and is working buth there is no hydraulic pressure at the valve? is that possible? any thoughts or ideas are appreciated....

/ bolens iseki G274 PTO Issue #2  
I fixed my neighbor's G274 PTO problem, several years ago.

It turns out the spool valve was sticking due to cruddy hyd fluid. It was
accessible from the top of the center section of the tractor. There was
even a small amount of corrosion on the spool, which I was able to clean
up with some very fine sandpaper. I was concerned about my fix, but
it has worked fine since then.

Dirty fluid and long-term lack of use was the culprit here.

/ bolens iseki G274 PTO Issue
The pto hasn't been used in over a year, so that theory seems to make sense. Are you talking about the valve that the solenoid pushes on? Its a shaft with a spring behind it and o-rings on it ? I was thinking of that as a possibility, but wasn't sure what kind of pressure would be in there so i didnt wanna tear it apart without being sure. (I've never really worked with hydraulics before) Would you just take the whole unit off and clean it out?

/ bolens iseki G274 PTO Issue #4  
Are you talking about the valve that the solenoid pushes on? Its a shaft with a spring behind it and o-rings on it ?

Yes, the solenoid pushes on a spool valve. The spool valve is shaped
something like a thread spool, and controls flow direction by moving
along its axis. There are no seals on the "lands" of the spool (the high parts).
It seals by virtue of the very close tolerances between it and the spool
bore. If there are deposits or corrosion on it, it will not actuate, or there
will be excessive leaking past the lands.

My fix is not usually advisable for spool valves like this, but there was nothing
to lose. Parts for this tractor are somewhat rare. By taking some 600
grit carborundum paper to the spool, I was able to remove enough corrosion
without messing up the tight clearance. Don't overdo it!

I hope that is clear. I think the PTO diverter spool does not get flushed
adequately with infrequent use.

/ bolens iseki G274 PTO Issue #5  
Just joining TBN. I have a Bolens G274. I am about to change oil in injection pump. Breather "G" on top of pump seems frozen. Any problem with swinging on it with multigrips?

/ bolens iseki G274 PTO Issue #6  
I have a Bolens G274. I am about to change oil in injection pump. Breather "G" on top of pump seems frozen. Any problem with swinging on it with multigrips?

I am not sure what you mean by changing the oil in the injection pump.
Do you mean you are changing the fuel filter and need to bleed air out
of the injection pump? There is a bleeder on the pump if that is what
you mean. "Swinging on it with multigrips" sure sounds bad.