First ride on our 1968 Bolens Diablo Rouge twin track

/ First ride on our 1968 Bolens Diablo Rouge twin track #2  
Looks pretty cool, was it in storage looks so clean?

What is it designed for? utility or fun? Not the best ergonomics :)

JB.

/ First ride on our 1968 Bolens Diablo Rouge twin track
JB - I would guess it was geared towards families. From what I understand, loggers where the first to use this type of sled but only started off with a chain saw engine inside it. It is not great in deep snow but once a trail is on the snow, they are fun.
The sled has an older restoration but is in need of another one, if I wanted to get picky about it. With riding it though, I think it will stay the way it is - but it does look very good overall.
Here is a link to our Flickr page that has a few more pictures of it. vmax4coco's photosets on Flickr

The advertisement has this wrote on it -

Diablo Rouge
The brawny one for the family

/ First ride on our 1968 Bolens Diablo Rouge twin track #4  
Another crazy Diablo guy. I just got my 503 Diablo Rouge back on the trail after an issue with an ignition coil. My restoration took a year and I'm pretty happy with it. Just in case you havn't heard there is a great website maintained by Bruce Schoblaska in Suamico, WI. Bruce has everything you need to know about the Diablo and the Huski that preceded it. He also have a phenominal list of replacement and reproduction parts that are available. He also has complete units for sale.

The site is Home Bolens Hus Ski and Diablo Rouge

The reason I purchased a Diablo was due to the fact it was the very first snowmobile we saw advertised on tv in the 60s. I remember watching and seeing the machine that could go across the snow and the riders were having a blast. It was a strange concept in 1967.

I found the 503 in Madison, WI last February. It had been sitting outside for a while and needed some work.

Yours looks like it doesn't need another restoration. But if you need parts and help with any repairs give check with Bruce at the above website. He is a great guy to work with.

/ First ride on our 1968 Bolens Diablo Rouge twin track
TCowner - Thanks for checking if I knew about the forum. I am a member on the forum and Bruce is a great guy that is a guru ( in my opinion) of the Diablos.
Good to hear that you got yours running again.
It is a new machine to my wife and I but we are having tons of fun riding it. The DVD he has to buy is really cool also.

/ First ride on our 1968 Bolens Diablo Rouge twin track #6  
When I looked at your pictures and saw the custom cover that reads "GoGO Diablo" I kind of thought you new Bruce. I have gotten to know him very well. I was at his shop back in August and saw his collection of Diablos and the numerous new and used parts he offers. YOu couldn't meet a greater guy.

Without his website and his almost daily emails I never could have restored the machine myself. It is just too different from any other snowmobile made and parts like sprockets, track splices, seats, skis, just wouldn't be available. He did all of the hard work so that the replacement parts can put these great old machines back together.

I don't know if you ever get to any of the antique shows but I think Bruce is going to push for another huge showing of Diablos at Waconia Minnesota like they had in 2009. Perhaps I will see you at some event.