no spark!

/ no spark! #1  

weedwalkins

Tractor
Bolens G9
well i've replaced the coil/armature , points and condenser , set them at 20thousands and still no spark , help ! lol

/ no spark! #3  
Not sure if this applies, just a couple ideas.

You have probably checked all the safety switches?
That's usually where I start with no spark.
Mower, seat, & neutral.
You can jump the switches and see if there's spark.

Wiring and plug at the key switch?

How about the flywheel gap?
You can check the engines specs for the gap measurement.
I often used a matchbook cover to gauge the gap between magnet on flywheel, and
coil. Might check for wear there too...if there is play in the flywheel end
of the crank, the gap can vary. I've seen some with about enough play the mags scrape the coil going by.
Also might smooth up the mags on the flywheel with light sandpaper if they're rusty.

maybe this helps.

/ no spark!
Hi Tony , the safety swithes were both rusted so I bypassed them , meaning I cut the wire that went to the 2 safety interlocks and just reconnected it back together so it goes from the key switch right to the selonoid. I bought a new armature/coil and gapped it according to the specs , put new points and condenser on it and played with the gap from 13 thousands up to 22 thousands and still no spark. I also noticed with the key in the ON position that the brass cluster of wires , which is down by the starter , by accidently putting my fingers on them while i had the flywheel off , that they get extremely hot as i burnt my finger , is that normal ?

/ no spark!
I think I have a wiring issue with this old bolens. It appears that the previous owner tried to rewire some things on it and wiring scares me , lol. So I found a parts list / manual for this particular tractor on ebay , hopefully this will help me figure the wiring roadmap out , but i sure do appreciate all the help and comments i've recieved on here , thanks everyone !

/ no spark! #6  
Someone correct me if I am wrong but I think the safety switches work in a way that if they are not closed then the starter does not turn over. The switches are connected in series with the ground side of the start soleniod. I think if you have no spark it could be linked to your key switch and other safety switches as when the key switch is turned off or the safety switches close then that grounds the coil so you lose the spark. So there is actually 2 switches on the seat(1 open & 1 closed to start), and control handle for mower (1 open & 1 closed to start) . Hope that makes sense.:D

/ no spark!
thanks bakerg , I got the engine to turn over , just has no spark

/ no spark! #8  
thanks bakerg , I got the engine to turn over , just has no spark

Great, just make sure that the wire that shorts the coil to ground when you turn the key off is open when the engine is turning over.:thumbsup:

/ no spark!
yes thats the problem i think , somewhere in the wiring its not getting juice to the points , not sure ,electrical is not my best game , so hopefully the manual i ordered will show the wiring schematic/diagram for that particular model tractor , thanks for the help though