Bolens help

/ Bolens help #1  

Youare

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota L3000
A friend of mine has an older Bolens tractor that developed a severe vibration. I have not seen the tractor since it has been taken apart but a I do have the part that needs repair.

This is a Bolens 16XT, 1981 vintage. It has a hydrostatic transmission that was made by Eaton, it is a Eaton 11.

There is a drive shaft that comes out of the transmission which turns a shaft with two universal joints, one at each end.
The joint near the transmission wore out and it thrashed about for a while before his son said something while mowing the lawn.

There is a shaft which comes out of a bolted on housing on the transmission that has what looks like and oil return line going into the top and out of the bottom which I think provides lubrication to the rotating shaft.

There is what looks like a split bushing in this housing that the shaft rides on and an oil seal out board of that. The oil seal got chewed up so it's had to tell what it was. The bushing is worn a bit also.

Does any body know if and where parts might be available to put this tractor back together again? Any help would be welcomed.

Thanks,
Randy

/ Bolens help #2  
On Bolens, the seal and bearing/bushing might be standard industrial items, depending on vintage, so you might get lucky at the local bearing supplier.
You could also compare with stock items in the Grainger catalog.
If all else fails, try the Bolens Group on Yahoo groups, there are some pretty knowledgable guys there.
The universal can probably be replaced with a standard industrial U joynt too, and a lot cheaper than Bolens oem parts.

/ Bolens help
Thanks for the advise, I will try the site you mentioned. The bushing does have the letters FM stamped into it, I can't seem to find any industrial manufacturers of bearing parts that use those letters.

Randy