Bolens 1455 Speed

/ Bolens 1455 Speed #1  

chadking

Tractor
Bolens 1455, MF TO-20
Hi Everyone.. New member but reading the posts on this page for quit a while...

I was reading through some old literature on my Bolens 1455 Tractor. I've always thought the tractor was extremely slow (guessing ~3 MPH Max) and came across an article saying top speed should be 8MPH. I'm wondering why or what is causing mine to be so slow. Like I said it's always been that way since I've owned it so I thought it was normal up until now...

(I'm basing the max speed in comparison to my MF TO20 in first gear which the books says 3.32MPH @ 2000RPM's in first.. The Bolens is actually slower than that in my opinion.)

Also anyone have a link or manual covering the Brakes for this tractor? I've been searching and can't come up with much. Right now mine are non-existent.

Thanks,
Chad

/ Bolens 1455 Speed #2  
most of the braking is done by the hydro unit on the 1455. there is a small foot brake that uses a pad/rotor set up but the main braking is done by decreasing forward travel of the hydro pedal or moving it to reverse.

8MPH is about right. That's what my 1455 does at full forward pedal with the throttle wide open.

/ Bolens 1455 Speed
most of the braking is done by the hydro unit on the 1455. there is a small foot brake that uses a pad/rotor set up but the main braking is done by decreasing forward travel of the hydro pedal or moving it to reverse.

8MPH is about right. That's what my 1455 does at full forward pedal with the throttle wide open.

Ok I guess I need to check out the Hydro unit. Mine isn't anywhere near 8MPH and that's really my only complaint about the 1455.

I've used the Hydro to control braking for the last few years and never really had a problem until a couple weeks ago. I managed to run out of gas on a fairly big hill (pointing up the hill). When the motor dies you have no Hydro braking... Me, I cut the wheel and get it sideways to stop the tractor, not really a big deal but got my nerves going a little bit. My wife however wants to start helping with the grass cutting duties and I'm not sure she would think to do that in time so I'd like to get the brake fixed up for her.

Thanks,
Chad

/ Bolens 1455 Speed #4  
should be a pedal on the right side right above and to the inside of the hydro pedal. It does do alot but is enough to stop the machine and hold it on hills.