Starter problems??

/ Starter problems?? #1  

NewtoBolens37

Tractor
Bolens 1468 G14XL
Hello Guys and Gals,

I am having issues with my Bolens 1468. When I try and start it, it just goes "click" It is not a constant clicking but one profound click. I put a new solenoid on it thinking that was the problem. However, it was not. The battery seems to have plenty of juice. Well, the lights are nice and bright anyway. Before I drop 80$ on a new starter I want to make sure I am heading in the right direction first! What do you guys think?

Jack
York PA.

/ Starter problems?? #2  
Hello Guys and Gals,

I am having issues with my Bolens 1468. When I try and start it, it just goes "click" It is not a constant clicking but one profound click. I put a new solenoid on it thinking that was the problem. However, it was not. The battery seems to have plenty of juice. Well, the lights are nice and bright anyway. Before I drop 80$ on a new starter I want to make sure I am heading in the right direction first! What do you guys think?

Jack
York PA.

Jack,
a couple of things to check before condeming the starter.

1) Can you turn the engine over by hand? (starter may be locked into fly wheel or carb may have leaked cylinder full of gas.)

2) If yes have you tried charging the battery or hooking jumper cables to see if the starter will now turn.

3) If the engine is rubber isolation mounted is the ground strap from the engine to frame making a good connection?

Roy

/ Starter problems??
Hello Roy, I have not tried any of these solutions. I had issues with it not wanting to shut off a month or so ago and ran most of the wires then to check for a bad connection. The ground at that time was tight. It has the Vanguard Briggs in it. At first I could hear a faint hum when I was getting the "click" I do not hear that anymore though.

/ Starter problems?? #4  
I would check the battery cables one more time. Maybe take them off and hit them with a wire brush.
Also check the battery ground cable to frame connection...make sure it's clean and tight.

I have taken starters apart before and found gunk in the bearing or the brushes stuck. Might be worth a try before spending $80 in parts.

Edited to add: if you do take the starter apart...mark the pieces so it goes back together the same way. I usually just scratch little marks at the seams.