Bolen 174 3-point not working

/ Bolen 174 3-point not working #1  

Clogball

Tractor
Bolen 174
I have a Bolen 174G. My 3-point hitch will not raise or lower. It started out by just being slow to raise. Now when I place the lever in the raise mode it takes up to 5 minutes before the hitch will respond, if it responds at all.

Any advice on where to start looking would be appreciated. Also, if you know where I could get a shop manual for this tractor let me know.

Last edited:
   / Bolen 174 3-point not working #2  
You may just need to adjust your hydaulic pressure. Just talked to a neighbor about this very issue earlier this evening. Make sure your hydraulic fluid is up and then adjust the pressure. Not sure where to adjust it on your tractor but suspicion tells me that is most likely your problem. If it is, easy fix.

/ Bolen 174 3-point not working #3  
Try adjusting the T handle valve located under the seat, I have a H1502, Hydro version of a G152. Try threading that handle in and out a few times that may solve your problem. There is also a screen filter in front of the tractor in the Hydro line (at least mine has it) and under the seat there is also a Hydraulic spin on filter (again at least mine has this) its similar to a oil filter on a car, however this part may be specific to the Hydrostatic tractor, the G models may not have it.

/ Bolen 174 3-point not working #4  
I had a Bolens 152 and same situation. I had to replace the hydraulic pump located on the left, front side. Hard place to get to, but can be done with regular tools.

/ Bolen 174 3-point not working
I found a manual on eBay. It shows a suction filter that is part of the bolt assembly that mounts the suction line to the transmission. I will be pulling it apart this week. I will also be draining the fluid out of the transmission and putting 80W fluid back in.

/ Bolen 174 3-point not working #6  
Clogball said:
I have a Bolen 174G. My 3-point hitch will not raise or lower. It started out by just being slow to raise. Now when I place the lever in the raise mode it takes up to 5 minutes before the hitch will respond, if it responds at all.

Any advice on where to start looking would be appreciated. Also, if you know where I could get a shop manual for this tractor let me know.

I have a g152 with the same problem I'm going to try changing trans oil, tractor says sae 80, does any one know what brand to use.

/ Bolen 174 3-point not working #7  
Universal transmission and hydraulic fluid will work. Try Wal*Mart - was $42/5 gal. pail a couple weeks ago.

/ Bolen 174 3-point not working #8  
Changing fluid did not work, but it did have water in fluid. Took to repair shop, hydrolick piston had ring rusted got new ring on the way.