Bolen QT16 tranny question

/ Bolen QT16 tranny question #1  

docrocky

Silver Member
Tractor
Oliver 880, Ford 8N, Ford 9N, Farmall Super C, MF 205, Ford 4400 FEL, Ford 4500 FEL/BH, Cat D-6 Dozer(1957)
I was given the above tractor by a close friend who is a former MF dealership operator. The tractor was traded in for something else and he was almost ready to scrap it. It needed points and plugs and in the process found that the timing cam pin was badly worn and did not move freely. So I replaced the entire box that houses the points and condenser as well as the pin that rides the cam. Since this tractor has set unused for ?how many years, I couldn't get fuel to the carb and also fuel thru the carb which I have meticulously clean out and replace lines, filters etc. I can now get the engine to fire but it does not sustain without playing with the choke and throttle. The one time I did get it run for a few minutes, the tractor wanted to reverse itself. No matter how hard I press the ?hydrostatic clutch I can not get it to move either to the forward or reverse positions. I did check the tranny for fluid and it was present and clean. I also checked the filter and fluid was present and clean. I used rust buster on all of the pedal and rod connections but nothing moves. I tried taping (lightly) the tranny lever as well as the foot pedal but tight as a drum. I can push the tractor by hand in either reverse of forward and the wheels move freely.

My thought is that the tranny is dragging on the engine before it can warm up and thus stalls it out.

Any thoughts on where I go from here. These machines were really well built. I am amazed at the steel gauge on this baby. Oh, the engine is a 2 cyl Onan.

I ultimately want to use it as a row cultivator with a rototiller attached behind next summer, since I do a 2-3 acre garden of which the food is donated to church kitchens and food banks. At 76yo I am having difficulty using the walk behind tillers etc.

Attachments

• IMG_0001 - Copy.jpg
    IMG_0001 - Copy.jpg
    334.4 KB · Views: 195
  • IMG_0005.jpg
    IMG_0005.jpg
    437.9 KB · Views: 133