Hi from a new G154 owner

/ Hi from a new G154 owner #1  

Pennyless

Tractor
Bolens Iseki G154
So, I picked just bought a Bolens G154 with the mid mount mower, front snow blower and rear home built plow. It has 224 hrs on it and looks like it was kept in pretty decent shape. The owner used it for lawn care and snow removal but it was retired from service some years ago in favor of a ATV with snow plow and a lawn tractor with mower deck.

The owner thought the clutch was bad as it was grabbing a bit low. I adjusted the linkage a couple turns and it grabs in the middle of the throw now. I had to take apart the throttle linkage as well and straighten it out so it would run in the detents like factory. What RPM's do you guys have it set up for at idle? I think mine is about 1000 RPM's right now. Any lower and my charge light flashes.

What weight oil do you recomend? It's in serious need of an oil change. It's currently running a fram oil filter.

The snow blower attachment had the motors removed as the wiring harness to it got shredded. I guess he was manually adjusting the chute. I have the original motors to re-install but I need the electrical plugs that plug into the motors. Anybody have any idea where to source the plugs or buy a new harness? I can rig something up but I would rather not have to mickey mouse the plugs.

I still haven't looked at the mower but the transmission on top of it leaked the out oil. The previous owner said he heard a squeeling and noticed the oil a couple days later. He figures it needs a new bearing and seal set. Any ideas on a source? I might be able to get that stuff locally at a bearing shop if there isn't permanent damage.

The last thing that needs to be fixed up is the seat. The pan is broken and cracked and the vinyl cover is shot. I think I can get away with plating the bottom of the seat with some thicker steel. A little bit of welding should fix it up. The previous fixes look like a bubble gum mess.

I'm so happy to have this tractor. I can't wait to get it back to where is mechanically should be. Thanks to anyone that can give me a little info

/ Hi from a new G154 owner #2  
Congrats on the tractor and welcome to TBN! I run Rotella synthetic 5w-40 but regular Rotella 15w-40 would be fine as well. Use a diesel engine oil. The synthetic, in theory, helps it start in colder temps - something you may be interested in.

What model snow blower do you have? The only one I am aware of that uses electric actuators for the chute control is the 1948 (2-stage) which is kind of a monster for a TX tractor (it's kind of a monster in general). I say TX tractor since, if you didn't already notice, the Bolens G154 is either an Iseki TX1300 or TX2140 depending on if it has the 2-cylinder or 3-cylinder Mitsubishi engine.

Idle speed I believe is 900 rpm. Your charge light shouldn't flash even at lower than 900 rpm. There is something wrong with the wiring, regulator, or possibly even the belt slipping.

Seals should be standard sizes you can pick up at a local auto store or buy off ebay after measuring from your mower gearbox.

Good luck with the repairs!

/ Hi from a new G154 owner
Thanks for the reply. I will get some pics of the equipment tonight.

I will definitely go with synthetic diesel oil and I'm guess I will see if I can get some 5w-40 seeing as it will be used in the winter most of the time.

I'm not sure on the blower model but it's on the large 2 stage Bolens FMC so I'm assuming it came as a factory implement. The owner said it would really throw the snow. It's pretty much a must for canadian winters.

The engine is a 3 cylinder

I have the idle around 1000RPM right now and no flashing of the charge light. The previous owner had the throttle lever bent so it wasn't hitting the factory stops. It's fixed now and set much better.

OK, so I'm super impressed with my new Bolens.

My blower is a 1948 model. Any idea where I can track down a wiring harness for the motors?

I'm trying to figure out how to mount the belly mower. The front attachment points look like they go to the brackets under the floor boards. The back of the mower has cables and brackets that I can't make heads or tails of. Does anyone have any pics of an FMC mower deck mounted on their G154?

/ Hi from a new G154 owner #5  
Mower mounting, if you aren't familiar with how it should be, can be a daunting task. I have two mower decks, one is an actual Iseki and the other a Bolens, and have been pondering myself how they mount. The Bolens uses some nylon pulleys and, I think, some extra brackets on the 3-pt that seem to be rare to hook a cable-type lift to. The Iseki is different but I haven't had a chance to look it over much. For now, I'm just using a riding lawnmower to do that work. My original plan was to use the Iseki to do mowing and get rid of the rider but I have since reconsidered mainly because the rider is a hydro and is more comfortable and quicker vs. the gear drive tractors.

The 1948 chute control motors are, for all I can find, a GM car window opener motor - made by Delco I think. I believe they were used on some late 1960s Cadillacs among others I'm sure. I couldn't tell you where to get the wiring plugs - a junkyard might be the best bet or auto parts store but I'm thinking they'll be painful to acquire. You might want to consider making up new connections which will still be a pain, but possibly easier in the end. I'd love to see a video of a G154 operating the 1948 :)

/ Hi from a new G154 owner #6  
Here's a diagram that might help some on mower mounting.

Attachments

• 17350_mount.jpg
    17350_mount.jpg
    302.8 KB · Views: 509
I can't thank you enough for the pic of the mower mounting. I looked for hours and found nothing. Mine is the cable style and it definitely not that user friendly to hook up but it uses the 3 point hitch for lifting.

I will get some video of the mover deck once I get it working and also the blower in a few months.

As soon as he handed the motors over to me I noticed they were power window style motors. My 01 Silverado eats them like candy haha. I never even thought of the junkyard for plugs to fit the motors but it should have been obvious to me. I have no problem making a new harness. I would much rather make a new one that is 2 piece so part stays with the blower. I'm super interested to see how it blows snow because the 1948 is HUGE!!! If the weather is anything like last winter I should be able to get some awesome footage.

I'm on the hunt for the backhoe and FEL attachments now.....I don't think it will happen but I would settle for something I could modify. I might have to break down and build them from scratch.

I can't thank you enough for the pic of the mower mounting. I looked for hours and found nothing. Mine is the cable style and it definitely not that user friendly to hook up but it uses the 3 point hitch for lifting.

I will get some video of the mover deck once I get it working and also the blower in a few months.

As soon as he handed the motors over to me I noticed they were power window style motors. My 01 Silverado eats them like candy haha. I never even thought of the junkyard for plugs to fit the motors but it should have been obvious to me. I have no problem making a new harness. I would much rather make a new one that is 2 piece so part stays with the blower. I'm super interested to see how it blows snow because the 1948 is HUGE!!! If the weather is anything like last winter I should be able to get some awesome footage.

I'm on the hunt for the backhoe and FEL attachments now.....I don't think it will happen but I would settle for something I could modify. I might have to break down and build them from scratch.

/ Hi from a new G154 owner #9  
This was a great thread for me, as I just purchased a G154 as well. The picture helped me tremendously. Thanks, guys.

I have to bump this up because I have another question. I have the 1948 blower all set up and it's working decent. I have down pressure and can left the blower no problem. Mine has the factory 2 stick hydraulic lift and lower and 2 window motors that run off a joystick just behind them. The top of the box is says "DOWN" and above that says "FLOAT". I have not figured out how to make the blower float and it gets tricky to use.

I have no been able to determine the purpose of the right stick as it seems to do nothing. Anybody have info on how to make the blower float?